Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is my computer dead?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 06:24 PM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Is my computer dead?

Been a while since I last logged on but I've moved so I was busy. But anyhow, here's the problem. After I got the idle reset and had the codes cleared, even though they never turned on the CEL, I drove about 200 miles and my scanner showed 4 of 7 monitors had reset. Well, now I have put on another 1000 miles and it still shows 4 0f 7. 800 miles of which were on the interstate. And my idle problem has come back. Yesterday, while at a stop light, the engine surged to a high idle. Almost went thru the light!!! So now it was back to idling at 2000 rpms, but today it is at 400 rpms!! And how about this.. Going down the highway it lost all power, but if I put it in Neutral for a second then back in Drive, it would run normal then 5 minutes later, it loses all power. So I repeat the process: put in neutral for a second then back to drive. It has been doing this all day. So does it sound like my computer is dead???

Eric

Old 03-04-2009, 06:36 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Your idle problem sounds like a vacuum leak to me. Check all your vacuum lines especially the ones going to the intake manifold.

The loss of power could be either a clogged fuel filter or a fuel pump failing. In my mind what is happening is the truck is losing power because it is starved for fuel. When you put it in neutral at idle it catches up with demand.

I could be way off but I think your computer is fine. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't run at all if the computer was dead.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:45 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

As much as I hate to agree with AK, but I too dont think your ECU is dead.
I know you looked all over hell for a vacum leak when you had the idle issue before.
But you might need to look again.
I cant remember, but did you replace the TPS?

Old 03-04-2009, 07:47 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i vote TPS

Old 03-04-2009, 07:53 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

What's wrong with agreeing with me? I was right once.

I agree that the TPS is likely your problem if you have already checked for vacuum leaks.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:56 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AK Rover
What's wrong with agreeing with me? I was right once.

I agree that the TPS is likely your problem if you have already checked for vacuum leaks.

i disagree with your agreeing with the agreement

Old 03-04-2009, 07:57 PM
Winching

I didn't replace the TPS. I just think that when it went to high idle at a stop light that it wouldn't be a vacuum leak. I've replaced my vacuum hoses and fuel filter. It could be the fuel pump is about to go. Just got back from running around and it's idling normal. No loss of power either. The thing that makes me wonder is that, after driving over 1000 miles, when I use my OBD2 scanner, it shows CEL light off, no codes, but only 4 of 7 monitors have reset. The only good thing is that I'm getting great fuel economy.

Eric

Old 03-04-2009, 08:50 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Well thats your problem, your getting great MPG, the truck is trying to compensate for the better MPG by turning up your RPM so youi use more gas at the drive thru.

Old 03-04-2009, 10:00 PM
Winching

You might be right. I thought maybe it was used to me running it hard, because I was pulling a uhaul trailer for 800 miles, that it assumed a high idle was normal.

Eric

Old 03-04-2009, 10:19 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

yah god forbid your disco gives you good gas mileage I would say anything better than 20 MPG it needs to go to the mechanic cause something is really wrong!!!! no I am just kidding don't have anything else to say as I don't even know what the TPS is! I know I am going to feel like the biggest idiot as soon as someone explains what that is short for.

Quick Reply: Is my computer dead?