Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My cooling issue identified

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2020, 11:15 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

Depends on the manufacturer and how they labelled the stat.

Some label it when it starts to open, some label it as fully open.

Old 05-30-2020, 03:19 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,177 Likes on 814 Posts

Just an update sat in a long lineup after a hiway run for about 20 minutes. Engine temps hit about 202 not unexpected at 31 deg C, but they did not drop for quite some time about 10 minutes.

Get home and check my fan as I did not hear the the normal "roar". Sure enough with the temp showing 200 when I shut down it spins exactly the same as the engine at 170, 180 or cold (tested all those temps) after that

Spin is about a blade maybe 2 tops no matter what the temp with same resistance, new clutch ordered.

On the upside driving, stopping and driving for an hour 188.6 to 194, including normal traffic light stops so there is a bit of life left in clutch but not much.

Old 06-06-2020, 04:13 PM
Overlanding
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Detroit Disco
Richard, thanks for that summary. It was very helpful.

I just spent most of last year replacing a blown head gasket on my 04 Disco II. I'm now worried that it's running hotter than it should. So i'm going to try and summarize my stats and diagnostics like you did. I'm thinking from the diagnostics below that my 180F Tstat isn't opening at 180F and therefore i should think about a new one. The Tstat is brand new from Atlantic British who are usually pretty reliable so i'm wondering if my diagnosis is correct. I think this is a reasonable start for things to look at when troubleshooting overheating problems but please let me know if missed anything and if anyone has a different recommendation please let me know. Thanks.

Engine Temps:
-Hwy temps in Michigan (70ish deg F) are 208-212F
-After Hwy driving, in traffic temps spike to 220-225F
-Monitoring temps w/ Ultragauge

Cooling System Setup:
-Replaced Tstat during my HG job with a 180F White MotoRad Tstat from Atlantic British. I'm now kicking myself for not checking w/ boiling water before installing.
-Replaced Engine Coolant Temp Sensor when I replaced the HG
-Running Peak Global Lifetime 50/50 premix amber (Disco Mike recommended if I remember correctly) with Purple Ice water wetter
-Reverse flushed the radiator when doing the HG job. Didn't see that much gunk coming out and seemed to flow ok but I've never done that before so I didn't really know what to look for.

Diagnostics:
-Pressurized system to 20 psi for 1/2 hr with no loss of pressure. (Pressure testing kit was about $80 on amazon, well worth it. Anytime i mess with hoses etc.. now I can check for leaks before getting onto the road)
-Opened bleed screw and checked for air pocket. Water was up to the top.
-I can see coolant movement in expansion tank where the throttle body heater return port is on start up (pump is pumping at least something?)
-After running for a minute or two I can stop the fan with a stiff piece of cardboard (i.e. freewheeling). This is expected fan clutch behavior per the Rave manual and wouldn't really explain my problem if the clutch was engaged at startup. I'm glad I did this though so I had a feel for what freewheeling feels like when did this again at a higher temp.
-After idling up to temperature, I can't slow down the fan when I jab at it with my cardboard. Feels therefore like the clutch is engaging properly
-Lower rad hose cool to the touch and reading 82F with IR gun as ultragauge was reading 190F. The lower rad hose didn't start to heat up until engine temp was closer to 200F
-Electric A/C fan came on at 210F with A/C on
-Shut off engine at about 212F
-Checked top of radiator fin temp w/ IR gun and about 6 " lower (that's about the lowest I could get to shooting through the grill openings). No significant difference in temperatures.

Conclusions:
-Fan clutch looks ancient but the fan blades seemed to chew up my little cardboard poker pretty well so i'm assuming not a fan clutch problem
-Water is definitely moving but other than that don't know how well the pump is working
-The radiator actually looks pretty new, I can't imagine its the original. I reverse flushed it when I replaced the head gasket and didn't see much gunk. Lack of a big temp difference from top to bottom makes me think the rad is ok.
-Feels like the Tstat isn't opening as early as it should. Since this is the cheapest and easiest fix i'll probably try this first but i'm a little stumped since I think this brand (MotoRad) and supplier (British Atlantic) are usually reliable.
Follow up to my earlier post about engine temps. I ordered an OEM LR low temp (180F) thermostat from Lucky 8. It's grey and had a mark that reads "Pump" with an arrow on the angled port that of course goes to the water pump. Other than that it didn't have any markings. I tested in a water bath and sure enough it opened at 180F. I replaced my existing Tstat (white, "low temp", motorad from AB) with this new OEM model. Test driving in Michigan about 75F deg day, Hwy temp was a rock solid 194F (measured w/ Ultragauge) with spikes to 203F at stops and driving around the neighborhood. it's amazing how much cooler the engine runs now, about 15 deg F. I then checked the previous Motorad Tstat from AB and sure enough it didn't open until 190F. So mystery solved. When in doubt check your thermostat and always check it in hot water before putting in your truck. Thanks all for your help.

The following 2 users liked this post by Detroit Disco:
cvhyatt (06-06-2020), Richard Gallant (06-06-2020)
Old 02-16-2023, 05:54 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Disco 2 has a overheating issue, I started today by bleeding the system, checked spark plugs for signs of a bad head gasket. Spark plugs look great and so does the oil. Took it for a ride 8.3 miles and had great heat, pushed the heat to the defrosters. At 8.3 miles the heat went totally out and my guage needle moved up so I shut it down. I waited 5 minutes andstarted it up, I again had great heat andstarted back to my home, at 6.2 miles the heat went out and it started to overheat. I shut it down. Waited 3 minutes and started it up, great heat and I got her home about 2 miles. Went out and purchased a new thermostat, put the new thermostat in and basically got the same thing. The day was shot and I am in the same place.

Old 02-16-2023, 05:57 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,503 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Read the inline thermostat mod thread at the top of the forum.

Old 02-17-2023, 12:16 PM
Winching
Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary Fallon
My Disco 2 has a overheating issue, I started today by bleeding the system, checked spark plugs for signs of a bad head gasket. Spark plugs look great and so does the oil. Took it for a ride 8.3 miles and had great heat, pushed the heat to the defrosters. At 8.3 miles the heat went totally out and my guage needle moved up so I shut it down. I waited 5 minutes andstarted it up, I again had great heat andstarted back to my home, at 6.2 miles the heat went out and it started to overheat. I shut it down. Waited 3 minutes and started it up, great heat and I got her home about 2 miles. Went out and purchased a new thermostat, put the new thermostat in and basically got the same thing. The day was shot and I am in the same place.
I would get an exhaust gas tester and test that to make sure it’s not head gaskets or cracked block / sleeve issues. Online thermostat won’t help that. A regular thermostat should not be sending the temps to the red. Especially this time of year.

Old 02-17-2023, 12:26 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,177 Likes on 814 Posts

Could be a water pump too, you need to do more investigation and open your own thread

Old 02-17-2023, 07:59 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,503 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason_B
I would get an exhaust gas tester and test that to make sure it’s not head gaskets or cracked block / sleeve issues. Online thermostat won’t help that. A regular thermostat should not be sending the temps to the red. Especially this time of year.
The factory style thermostat rarely work correctly. I have two brand new never been used I am willing to give away if someone wants to pay shipping. It is not possible for a d2 full of coolant to overheat even with blown head gaskets if there is no thermostat element installed. If you want to test without the inline thermostat, connect the top radiator hose to the engine outlet and put a hose repair kit bushing ($5 at Autozone or advance - plastic but it works temporarilty) in place of the factory thermostat in the bottom hose. Lose the bypass hose.

The above won't solve the a blown head gasket, but it will stop the overheating. Best test for a blown HG is overnight pressure test - free kit available to rent at Advance. If it holds pressure overnight the gasket is not blown. If it does not, look for other leaks first and if you can't find any it might be a blown hg. Caution, overnight pressure test might fill the cylinder with water and hydrolock it (7 and 8 most likely candidates). If it does not hold pressure and you can't find an external leak best to turn it over by hand one full turn before starting, if it stops remove the spark plugs and you will find which cylinder is full of coolant.

Good luck!