Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Discovery is Jerky

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 03:40 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Discovery is Jerky

I have a Discovery 2003 SE and the "Service Engine Soon" light has been flashing and then staying on. I can feel the car "jerking" or "slipping", especially going faster than 25mph.

Has anyone else had this problem?

I would love to hear from anyone with advice, knowledge, etc... and/or reliable mechanic contacts in the Los Angeles area!!!!...
thanks guys!
Laura

Old 01-28-2008, 04:07 PM
Drifting
Default RE: My Discovery is Jerky

My Disco is very squirrely as well, but I assumed it was because of my alignment (again). No warning lights.

Old 01-28-2008, 04:20 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: onehotrover

I have a Discovery 2003 SE and the "Service Engine Soon" light has been flashing and then staying on. I can feel the car "jerking" or "slipping", especially going faster than 25mph.

Has anyone else had this problem?

I would love to hear from anyone with advice, knowledge, etc... and/or reliable mechanic contacts in the Los Angeles area!!!!...
thanks guys!
Laura

When the light is flashing, it means stop driving. Take it to your local autoparts store and have them read the codes. They should do it for free. Get the code #'s and get back here. There are a number of really bad things it could be...

Old 01-28-2008, 05:19 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

So when are you going to go get the codes read???????????????????????????????
After reading them, you'd best stop driving it unless you want a much larger repair bill and they can get real large.

Old 01-28-2008, 06:57 PM
3rd Gear

i must truly be naive, because i was under the impression that any auto-shop/store would start charging me $$$ the moment i walked in...I never knew i could get it "read" for free.

thank you!!!

Old 01-28-2008, 07:32 PM
Drifting

Laura, a reliable mechanic who specializes in land rovers is a place called Huntington Service Center. its in Pasadena. the phone number is 626.570.9901. i have taken my 04 disco there for brake jobs and questions regarding my disco. yeah, with your service engine soon light on i wouldn't drive it too much. get it checked out asap. could be a number of things....mine went on a few months back and all it was was a gas cap problem. thank god. hope you figure it out.

Old 01-28-2008, 10:33 PM
3rd Gear

Thank you socalrover!!!

I will call your guy in pasadena asap! I really didn't know where to turn and refuse to take it to the dealership now that it's out of warranty...hope my problem is as simple as yours!

thank you again!

Old 01-29-2008, 08:01 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: onehotrover

Thank you socalrover!!!

I will call your guy in pasadena asap! I really didn't know where to turn and refuse to take it to the dealership now that it's out of warranty...hope my problem is as simple as yours!

thank you again!

If you have an auto parts store near you, call them or just stop in and see. Most will read your codes for free. All they have to do is plug in a little scanner and it will tell them the codes. Don't let the previous post give you too much hope. If it is flashing, it is not good. An open gas cap won't do that and make you drive jerky.

A mechanics shop will charge you at least $55 to read you codes. It's your money...

Old 01-29-2008, 09:02 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

I agree, go to your nearest auto parts store, have them read the codes and write down all the fault code numbers, get back to us with those numbers before you even head to a shop. Often we can, based on the codes help you which will limit your cost of repair.

Old 01-30-2008, 01:54 PM
Mudding

Now I do know on the manual it says for the Disco 1 that the Service Engine is for the 50k emissions, then theres a check engine light.

Now if the check engine light goes blink blink it means bring to nearest land rover stealership

Im not sure how it works for the Disco 2 though

Quick Reply: My Discovery is Jerky