Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My engines blown? Is it true? Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 02:13 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry My engines blown? Is it true? Please help!

Hi all,

I'm a brand new member and I need some help - any advice would be appreciated. My disco kept over heating and leaking coolant, (2003 SE, all options). After a few trips to the mechanic, they now say that the sleeves inside the block have ridden up and are allowing coolant to run through the engine. Bottom line - the engine's toast, or I have to buy a new block, which would bascially cost the same amount as getting another engine. I spoke w/ another dealer in Harrisburg, they confirmed that it's true... all after only 75k miles!

So...my question to you, o wise land rover fans, is this legit? What else can be done? She's not worth putting a new engine in... but I don't want to let her go! Any advice would be much appreciated, or just a shove in the best direction to start finding the parts I need. I'm a semi poor mechanic at best, so please be gentle with the responses!

Thanks all - with you help, maybe we can get her back into the mudd!

- Lannes

Old 05-08-2011, 02:58 PM
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Over heating is never good, there are many sad stories like that on this forum.
The choices are to resleeve your block ($1600 at L.A.SLEEVE CO.- Producer Of Quality Cast Iron Cylinder Sleeves & Liners Since 1945), get another block or another engine. Whatever you do it's going to cost you money. You should have paid attention to the overheating and fixed it before ruining your engine.

Old 05-08-2011, 04:29 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

These are all aluminum engines and they do not like being overheated at all.
Do it once and your lucky it still runs, do it twice and most of the time you're dead in the water.
There are lots of options out there for engines, you do NOT have to use the 4.6 that it came with, you can use ANY DII or Range Rover P-38 engine.
The P-38 also had the 4.6 in the HSE and as a upgrade option on the SE.
You could get a used engine for around $1500 and slap that in your truck.
As far as what the truck is worth, thats up to you.
There is a guy on the DI side looking for a used DII and maybe he'd take it off your hands for you.

Old 05-08-2011, 05:35 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default choices

Like bundu and spike said, these are your choices...Yes liners do slip and no, not all at the same time.... these only leak if there is a crack so you have options...You can also get a complete long block rebuilt for $2,500.00 ready to drop in and go.... you might as well just pull the engine and see wher you are at. It should take a day to pull it ...

Let us know, Chris

Old 05-08-2011, 07:06 PM
4th Gear

Nice - thanks for the replies. Anywhere you'd recommend I go to get the long block rebuilt or can any decent shop do it?

A used engine also sounds like a good option. I've been looking, all I can find is for about 3-4k, not 1500. Obviously I'm looking in the wrong place. Any hints?

Thanks!

Old 05-08-2011, 07:21 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Old 05-08-2011, 09:27 PM
Drifting

Dear Lannes

First sorry to hear about your trouble.

I had an overheating problem with my DII. Nursed it along for about a year and had two overheating episodes.

I am in Bel Air, MD. Knowing I had a blown head gasket I went to a local company in Edgewood, MD. Engine repair went well and I requested/authorized additional work to minimize recurrence and perform other scheduled maintenance. That was last December. All good so far.

If you are in proximity to Edgewood MD I recommend contacting Mark Raspi 410 612-4180 Raspi's british Imports 2107 Emmorton Park Road, suite 107, Edgewood, MD 21040

BTW I purchased my Disco II from Landrover Harrisburg and have had good experience with them as well.

Best Regards,

Charlie

Old 05-09-2011, 07:34 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default almost forgot

i almost forgot that you should check your vin number as per if it falls in the oil pump failure range. there are some posts here to help you find the vin range..

Also remember that if you buy a used engine you are going to be in the same boat .....get a rebuilt motor that has been gone over or rebuild yours...should run you about $2,500.00 to rebuild your yourself.... With a couple friends helping you you will be ok.... It's not rocket science but they can be a real POS if you let something go...

Let us know... Chris

Old 05-09-2011, 07:46 AM
Winching

How mechanically inclined are you? If you cannot swap the engine out yourself it's not going to be worth the money. Just my 02.

Sucks you did not catch it early. You could of paid someone to replace your head gaskets and all would have been well.

I would sell it as is and get another truck (unless your just in love with it). Learn and move on.

Last edited by sloan74; 05-09-2011 at 07:49 AM.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:30 AM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also being new to the LR world, are there any engine builders that specialize in Land Rovers that can be recommended? I don't have a problem yet but at 133k I'm starting to plan ahead.

Quick Reply: My engines blown? Is it true? Please help!