Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My first Rover, and first post!

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2020, 07:26 PM
Drifting
Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts

Ha ha, yeah, maybe! Tomorrow it's on, checking everything (already checked oil, coolant, brake, etc before driving home.

I put new wheels and tires on (well, lightly uesd) and all four corners are clean and dry, we will see!

Jeff

The following users liked this post:
CollieRover (01-19-2020)
Old 01-17-2020, 04:03 PM
Drifting

Well, as good luck has it, I may have stumbled upon a fairly well maintained Rover.

All fluids are full, to include both diffs, transfer, and so on. I have not done the auto trans yet, but tomorrow it is going down.

Also, the front drive shaft is a brand new replacement with zerks, and the rag joint is new on the rear driveshaft/diff.

So far, so good. I posted pics, but they are not showing as a mod apparently has to approve them?

Jeff

Old 01-17-2020, 06:44 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,036 Posts

Now time for PCV mod and bypass thermostat mod - replace all the cooling system plastic if you want to avoid a head gasket job.

Old 01-18-2020, 04:59 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,189 Likes on 850 Posts

You have to check the trans fluid while it's running, in neutral, level ground, parking brake applied. Pull front plug and trans fluid should come out in a small 1/8 diameter stream. If fluid comes out, it's full, if not...add some. If you remove plug while not running...fluid will pour out and you'll lose a couple quarts worth.

Do quick search here for filter/fluid change, but you attempt procedure.

Nice looking rover, good luck with your build.

Brian.

Old 01-18-2020, 04:30 PM
Drifting

Well, after a week of ownership, the honeymoon is still not over. (For the "glass is half empty" types, I know, it has just begun), but I have been lurking and reading, reading, reading here for a LONG time, or I would not have bought a D2. I am an experienced off road driver, I just have been too "chicken" to tackle the Discovery's poor reliability reputation.

Hogwash.....Man, what a truck.

It is replacing a very, very tired Toyota FJ60 (318,000+ miles), and already the Disco runs circles around that truck offroad with stock condition throughout. I even got it stuck already, but deep sand in a wash bed and poor line on my part are to blame, not the truck, got the back passenger wheel hooked on a big buried rock. Got it out with a little push by my passenger. Traction control and ABS just flails the Toyota. Never mind the center diff lock.

Wow. I can barely contain my enthusiasm. To be honest, I bought the FJ60 in 2009 because I was too intimidated by Rover maintenance so I compromised.

Big mistake, I am sold. I can handle the maintenance, it is worth the rewards of this great truck. I should not have waited.

Jeff

The following 2 users liked this post by Crusader_22:
No Doubt (01-18-2020), T-rex (01-18-2020)
Old 01-18-2020, 09:44 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Crusader_22
Well, after a week of ownership, the honeymoon is still not over. (For the "glass is half empty" types, I know, it has just begun), but I have been lurking and reading, reading, reading here for a LONG time, or I would not have bought a D2. I am an experienced off road driver, I just have been too "chicken" to tackle the Discovery's poor reliability reputation.

Hogwash.....Man, what a truck.

It is replacing a very, very tired Toyota FJ60 (318,000+ miles), and already the Disco runs circles around that truck offroad with stock condition throughout. I even got it stuck already, but deep sand in a wash bed and poor line on my part are to blame, not the truck, got the back passenger wheel hooked on a big buried rock. Got it out with a little push by my passenger. Traction control and ABS just flails the Toyota. Never mind the center diff lock.

Wow. I can barely contain my enthusiasm. To be honest, I bought the FJ60 in 2009 because I was too intimidated by Rover maintenance so I compromised.

Big mistake, I am sold. I can handle the maintenance, it is worth the rewards of this great truck. I should not have waited.

Jeff
I love the FJ!!!

Old 01-19-2020, 02:43 PM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

Congratulations, and it looks great. That color has really grown on me.

Old 01-19-2020, 02:51 PM
Drifting

Thanks, guys.

I love the FJ60 also, but it is no Land Rover, it is certainly bare bones! And I will heed the cooling system advice, I watch the temp gauge more than the speedo so far.

Maroon was never my favorite, but it is also growing on me...I bought it for the drive train, so the color is just an afterthought.

Jeff

Old 01-19-2020, 03:33 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep the pack rats away! They love living under the hood. I currently have a crankshaft position sensor problem because one gnawed through the wires even though I keep the hood lifted.

Old 01-19-2020, 03:56 PM
Drifting

I have heard having a light bulb or some such thing under the hood will solve the packrat problem, they are nocturnal and hate the light.

Quick Reply: My first Rover, and first post!