Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my LR starts unusual

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 03:59 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my LR starts unusual

hello everyone,
i live in asia. i am new to this forum and LR as well. last night my LR discovery II 2001 model manual transmission shut off on the way. i managed to get it on the side of the road. it wont start then with the gear lever in neutral position with clutch pedal released. battery is perfect with all the lights coming on. however the vehicle starts with the clutch pedal pressed. but the moment i release the clutch pedal with gear lever in neutral position it shuts off again... strange.... help me.. thanks

Old 10-07-2009, 10:29 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Boy, I haven't heard that one before. Unfortunately though, we don't have manual trannys here in the States and haven't experienced this problem.
When you find out what the problem was, let us know, thanks.

Old 10-07-2009, 06:27 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

It is NOT supposed to start unless the clutch pedal is pressed all the way down.
Sounds like it is the neutral safety switch.
There is a switch on the back of the clutch pedal that sends a signal to the engine computer when the pedal is pressed.
When the engines computer gets that signal it lets the engine start, no signal no start.
replace that switch and you should be good to go.
You should beable to replace it yourself.
Buy the new one, then find the one on the truck, replace it.
You may need a screwdriver, but it will just unplug.

Old 10-08-2009, 02:24 AM
4wd Low

thanks guys for the reply. and if i am not wrong, spike, neutral safety switches are equiped only for automatic transmissions and mine is manual. any other suggestions? is there anything to do with the clutch plate?

Old 10-08-2009, 07:21 PM
Team Owner

You are correct, neutral safety switches are on auto boxes BUT there is also one on a manual transmission, but I cannot think of the exact name for it.
It is called a shift inter lock or some such.
They installed these on cars and trucks because people were starting theri car while in 1st gear and driving through houses and garage doors and running people over in parking lots.
So unless your clutch pedal is depressed and the switch is good the car will not start.
Call your dealer, they will know exactly what part you need.
Trust me, it exists.

Old 10-09-2009, 02:27 AM
4wd Low

i do agree that now. its called shift interlock system. .. but i used to start my truck with clutch pedal released, while the gear lever is in neutral position which i cant do now. i just cant start the truck with clutch pedal released and gear in neutral. but i can start with the clutch pedal depressed fully down but shuts off while i release the clutch pedal...

Old 10-09-2009, 07:55 PM
Team Owner

Well I do not know the safety laws of Asia, but here in the US ALL cars and trucks must have a shift interlock or a neutral safety switch.
So, I would call your dealer and see if you have one, ir could be it was faulty before and now it is even more faulty, or maybe it was fine before but faulty now, or maybe you just dont have one, or maybe your release bearing has gone out and the clutch is not releasing all the way and you are stalling the engine when you let the clutch pedal out.
Start the truck with the clutch pedal depressed, then with the transmission in neutral pretend like you are in 1st gear and give it throttle while you let the clutch out.
Try this with the parking brake released, does the engine stall or does the truck move?

Old 10-09-2009, 08:13 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

here in the USA we are beginning to get cars that are asian built like my aunts chevy aveo which i believe is a daihatsu(sp).

it cannot be started unless the clutch pedal is pressed to the floor in any gear. just popping it into neutral and starting will not work like on most older manuals.

i believe your issue stems from a gear or neutral safety switch faulting out. kind of like a reverse lock out switch.

in any case i would think the issue is not too tough to fix and not to expensive

Old 10-10-2009, 11:45 PM
4wd Low

spike, i did your test. i started the engine with the clutch pedal fully pressed put on 1st gear and while slowly releasing the clutch gave throttle. i never felt the engine stalling but it just stopped. car never moved. engine stopped like i stop with the key. if it stalls and stops i should feel that on the clutch. i dont feel that. i talked to a mechanic in thailand. he says there is a sensor behind the clutch pedal. he advised me to clean that. i didnt do that yet. let me see if that works. and if he is talking about the safety switch which he refers to as sensor, you must be right.
anyway when i have done that i will give a shout.
thanks for the replies guys
cheers

Old 10-14-2009, 10:05 PM
4wd Low

hey guys.. last night i took out the gear box and saw that the pilot bearing is totally gone. i locked the top shaft and didnt let the engine move... i have yet to open my gear box.. and you know what .. the crazy thing is the gear oil is totally finished.. am i expecting some bearings to be totally damaged??? i mean inside gear box..

Quick Reply: my LR starts unusual