Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My New 04' Discovery!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 11:18 AM
jdp
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My New 04' Discovery!!

To start, it kicks *** in the snow. I ran thru 3', just to view truck and others off the side of the road. I need to know what plugs I need to use, I like NGK.
Oil? I know conventional, but I what type? Pentosin or Total and 5w/30? I was told by a Rover Tech, no synthetic. Do you need any special tools to replace the steering box? I have Alldata and it shows one. I want to do a tune up. Thanks

Old 02-21-2011, 12:01 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by jdp
To start, it kicks *** in the snow. I ran thru 3', just to view truck and others off the side of the road. I need to know what plugs I need to use, I like NGK.
Oil? I know conventional, but I what type? Pentosin or Total and 5w/30? I was told by a Rover Tech, no synthetic. Do you need any special tools to replace the steering box? I have Alldata and it shows one. I want to do a tune up. Thanks
Why no Synthetic? I just changed the oil in my Disco to synthetic. Did I mess up?

Old 02-21-2011, 12:15 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've always ran mobile1 synthetic in mine

Old 02-21-2011, 12:35 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

I run Amsoil Euro 5/40 in my '02 with no issues.

Old 02-21-2011, 01:58 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jdp
TOTAL???

where are you from? total sponsors in formula 1 so i assume in europe somewhere,,,

any good synthetic oil is fine. i run mobil 1 in my rover. no leaks or issues. 10/40 should meet all your needs unless you are in a very cold part of the continent. i am also a big NGK fan and run iridium plugs in all my vehicles.

no special tools needed for almost anything on these trucks. just a good set of metric wrenches. which is probably standard to you

Old 02-21-2011, 01:58 PM
Drifting

Good deal. I've never run anything other than Mobil 1 Synthetic in every vehicle I've owned.

I've never heard of a vehicle requiring convential over synthetic.

Old 02-21-2011, 02:22 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

A lot of European vehicle repair shops in the US can get Total oil which used to be Elf.

Old 02-21-2011, 02:38 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex J
A lot of European vehicle repair shops in the US can get Total oil which used to be Elf.
i have not seen it here in western washington. then again i wrench on everything myself

Old 02-21-2011, 04:00 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

no need for specialty tools is one thing I really like about rovers..the only thing I'm come across so far is the MAF sensor needs a security torx but you can get the screws out with a needle nose...just takes a few minutes.

Old 02-21-2011, 04:36 PM
jdp
6th Gear

It's true. I have a BMW Repair Shop. The only oil I use is Total/Elf, they formulate the oil for the cars it goes in. I love this Rover and my Mastiff fit in it, perfect. I do know it comes w/ it's problems, but so does a BMW. I'm in AZ, Phoenix. I was told that synthetic will break thru the rubber gaskets and leak. So, here I am asking the real people and not the techs. They use Castrol and I hate Castrol. Thank you, everyone.

Quick Reply: My New 04' Discovery!!