Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My radiator replacement plan. Seem OK?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 11:08 AM
Winching
Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
Default My radiator replacement plan. Seem OK?

Hi all, I downloaded the RAVE manual and have been reading threads about the flushing and bleeding. Here is my broad plan. I wanted to be sure this was the best way. I have to replace the radiator and my biggest concern is not being able to get air out or have an overheat situation. I am also replacing the t-stat, upper hoses and bleed housing, and the two small expansion tank and throttle body hoses. Lower hoses were replaced a few years back.
OK:
I am tossing this out off the top of my head--
1) Locate bottom radiator drain plug and drain fluid. If not, remove lower hose and drain fluid.
2) Put hose/plug back on, remove top hose and fill rad with distilled water. Run to OP temp, shut off and drain. I repeat this drain/flush a second time. I plan on having 4-6 gallons of distilled water.
3) Drain as much fluid as I can, remove radiator, replace t-stat, radiator and hoses I have purchased.
4) With new radiator and parts installed, remove top hose and pour a 50/50 DEXCOOL mixture (It currently has DEXCOOL) until full. Replace top hose. Lift UP expansion tank and add more mixture. With expansion tank up, open bleed screw and start engine to bleed. When coolant runs through bleed screw cap it off.
5) Let engine cool with tank elevated. Check fluid level and measure intake of fluid (should be about 3gals of 50/50 mix).
6) Start again, check engine temp, if hot, bleed again and/or add mixture.

NOTE: The distilled water flush I read was from a shop on this forum in an older post.

Does this sound about right?

Old 01-24-2014, 11:16 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The first thing people are gonna tell you is to avoid Dexcool at all costs. Is there a reason you plan on using it?

Old 01-24-2014, 11:27 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

avoid Dexcool at all costs

Old 01-24-2014, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

minus dexcool, sounds okay. I installed a fill plug in the top hose on the shroud. can not really tell that the 2 point fill does much to minimize the bleeding efforts.

Old 01-24-2014, 12:39 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

Don't use Dexcool.

Also, raising the front of the truck a few inches during the fill process helps bleed all of the air out the first go around.

Old 01-24-2014, 01:21 PM
Winching

DEXCOOL because I called the Rover dealer a couple years ago when I needed to add fluid and they said DEXCOOL or any aluminum safe coolant. Just try and match colors. I had red.

Old 01-24-2014, 01:23 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Racer X
Don't use Dexcool.

Also, raising the front of the truck a few inches during the fill process helps bleed all of the air out the first go around.
So, if I go with something other than DEXCOOL, and I had red before, what is a good alternative?

About the elevation, thanks. My drive has the perfect slope so that the front can be in the garage and the rear sloping down. If not, I have ramps.

Thanks!

Old 01-24-2014, 02:50 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

peak, prestone, something normal and easily found. I use prestone because I had a coupon. if you search coolant in the search engine above, you will find an abundance of opinions.

Old 01-24-2014, 02:51 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Just use anything that you see a ton of. Much better to not mix different brands if you can't get your type when you need it.

Old 01-24-2014, 03:02 PM
Winching

OK, thanks! I appreciate all of the help.

Quick Reply: My radiator replacement plan. Seem OK?