Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Rover is Dead

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 09:53 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Rover is Dead

Hi all,

New to the group but have a problem that has got me stumped.

I have a 2000 disco II with 150,000

Started it one morning and it started to stumble, put it in reverse and it died.

would not re fire and hasn't since.

I jumped the gun because it acted like it ran out of gas and put a new fuel pump in it.

still wont start.

I start to diagnose.

Pump is not running, not even a prime.

no power getting to the pump

check all fuses all good.

Rotate Fuel pump relay, no change.

press inertia switch, no change.

jumped wire on inertia switch, set off alarm and now the two green lights on the dash flash when I crank it.

Removed fuel pump relay and jumped it, pump runs when jumped.

even with that it still wont start not even a pop.

pulled wire and put extra spark plug against manifold and have spark.

buy the way I put new coil packs, wires and plugs in it last year.

pulled boot off intake and sprayed starter fluid in it, still wont start.

because it wont start with starter fluid I decided a CPS was next on the list. Still wont start.

Checked ground wire to fire wall, looks good

Checked alarm, armed it disarmed it, I think it is working fine.

I'm stumped have no more ideas, anyone out there that has heard of this and can help would be my hero.

thanks
Darin

Old 11-03-2017, 10:29 AM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you find any trouble codes?

Old 11-03-2017, 11:37 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 971 Likes on 646 Posts

So you did or did not replace the CKP?

Have you tried replacing relays?

Old 11-03-2017, 12:17 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

I say get a hold of a good OBDII scanner that you can monitor sensor state/status. You then turn the key & verify the CPS is sending a signal to the Engine ECU. If you replaced the CPS & still nothing it could be wiring related.

Old 11-03-2017, 01:59 PM
4wd Low

Yes 6 I think mostly my doing but the anti theft one has me thinking
1. P1668 indicates the PCM detected the anti-theft alarm signal was greater than the maximum allowable limit.
2. P0444 indicates that the Evaporative Emission System Purge Control Valve electrical circuit was open for a predetermined period of time. I in unplugged it
3. P0560 indicates a fault in the System Voltage for a predetermined period of time.

P1536: Air conditioning compressor power stage faultDrive cycle A:Signal missing

Code P0650 indicates a fault in the Malfunction Indicator Light Control electrical circuit for a predetermined period of time.

P1230: Fuel Pump Relay Open

Old 11-03-2017, 02:01 PM
4wd Low

Yes new CPS, I rotated the other Relays that have the same number, with no change.

Old 11-03-2017, 02:05 PM
4wd Low

I just have a cheap reader do you think the one that Oreilly's rents would give me more information?

Old 11-03-2017, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

Those codes are probably from turning it over and the battery got low or is low. Make sure the battery is fully charged, and all terminals are clean and not damaged.

I’d borrow a good scanner that can monitor modules like the engine management Icarsoft LR2 comes to mind. Then you can fully verify CPS operation.

Old 11-03-2017, 05:20 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,509 Likes on 1,069 Posts

You have spark, but no start. You have fuel pressure, but no start. You changed CKP sensor, but no start. It is pretty low probability, but you might have a bad ECU.

Try this, buy a replacement ECU/BCU/Inst Cluster set off ebay, see if your trucks starts. If it does, sell your BCU and Inst cluster on ebay. If it does not, you can always resell the parts on ebay.

Or, squirt a little gas through the throttle body, see if it hits. If you have spark and compression it will fire/hit, even if it only runs a couple seconds.

Old 11-04-2017, 04:33 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,282 Likes on 899 Posts

Had the vehicle been sitting for an extended amount of time? Or did you buy fuel recently (right before this issue started) at an off the wall gas station? I'm surprised it wouldn't start temporaily on starting fluid, if you have spark. Of course the plugs could be all fouled from bad fuel, too.

I guess you need to verify fuel pressure (just because pump is running doesn't necessarily mean it's creating enough pressure), check to make sure fuel injectors are firing, check for spark at all cylinders, check compression and timing. As mentioned, a scan tool would really help you out in this situation, helps eliminate some guess work. And the ECU occasionally going bad has happened from what I've read on this site.

Make sure you have a fully charged battery, with clean-tight connections, while trying to start also.

Brian.

Last edited by The Deputy; 11-04-2017 at 10:39 AM. Reason: duh moment

Quick Reply: My Rover is Dead