Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Rover is Dead

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2017, 09:46 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 971 Likes on 646 Posts

Before you go off buying all new electronics, try a new fuse box under the hood. I've heard of them going bad and I even replaced mine when I was fighting with my CKP. Honestly still don't know if it was the sensor, the fuse box, or the wiring that fixed my problem since at the end of my three days laying in the snow I laid hands on all three when she finally started.

Old 11-04-2017, 10:16 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Extinct
You have spark, but no start. You have fuel pressure, but no start. You changed CKP sensor, but no start. It is pretty low probability, but you might have a bad ECU.

Try this, buy a replacement ECU/BCU/Inst Cluster set off ebay, see if your trucks starts. If it does, sell your BCU and Inst cluster on ebay. If it does not, you can always resell the parts on ebay.

Or, squirt a little gas through the throttle body, see if it hits. If you have spark and compression it will fire/hit, even if it only runs a couple seconds.
I'm not sure about Fuel pressure, when I jumped the relay and the pump was running I pushed in the Schrader valve, I expected fuel to come out but nothing, is there another way to check pressure? the Schrader valve I push was up on manifold next to purge sensor.

Old 11-04-2017, 10:21 AM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by Alex_M
Before you go off buying all new electronics, try a new fuse box under the hood. I've heard of them going bad and I even replaced mine when I was fighting with my CKP. Honestly still don't know if it was the sensor, the fuse box, or the wiring that fixed my problem since at the end of my three days laying in the snow I laid hands on all three when she finally started.
I have read that people have had problems with those, did you buy a new one or find one on Ebay?

Old 11-04-2017, 10:33 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 280 Likes on 182 Posts

I'm on the battery is low bandwagon. Did you put a meter to it and check the ground and connection there? I get all sorts of crazy codes sometimes if the battery is low.

The following users liked this post:
Darin Green (11-05-2017)
Old 11-05-2017, 10:22 AM
4wd Low

Okay did some more trouble shooting last night.
1. checked battery after charging and getting 12.7 Volts.
2. unbolted fuse box under hood and cleaned and inspected wires for damage or loose connection,
all looked good.
3. tested all fuses, all good.
4. pulled all plug wires (one at a time) checked for spark with extra plug, its getting spark (kind of weak)
5.fuel pump is running during cranking but not priming when key is first turned on.
6.with the wife cranking pushed in Schrader valve up by purge sensor, No fuel coming out, is there another way to check pressure?
7.Took boot of intake manifold and squirt fuel past throttle plate. Crank it over and not even attempted to start. shot starter fluid in there with wife cranking, nothing.
looking for code reader now.
the injectors must not be firing, does anyone know how to check that?
Also is there a CAM position sensor?
Thanks for the replys

Old 11-05-2017, 10:57 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 971 Likes on 646 Posts

I actually had a parts truck at the time I swiped mine out of. Check with Abran or Paul Grant here on the forums. One of them should have one.

Old 11-06-2017, 06:08 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,509 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Originally Posted by Darin Green
Okay did some more trouble shooting last night.
4. pulled all plug wires (one at a time) checked for spark with extra plug, its getting spark (kind of weak)
5.fuel pump is running during cranking but not priming when key is first turned on.
How do you know it is running during cranking?

6.with the wife cranking pushed in Schrader valve up by purge sensor, No fuel coming out, is there another way to check pressure?
You can rent/borrow a fuel pressure gauge at O'reilly. If there is no fuel the pump is not running

7.Took boot of intake manifold and squirt fuel past throttle plate. Crank it over and not even attempted to start. shot starter fluid in there with wife cranking, nothing.
If you it doesn't pop then you are not getting a spark.

looking for code reader now.
All the big autoparts stores will read codes for free - Advance, O'reilly, AZ

the injectors must not be firing, does anyone know how to check that?
You can pull an injector out of the manifold or get a spare and plug it in to to wiring plug - you can see the injector squirting.

Also is there a CAM position sensor?
Yes, below water pump and above crank pulley

Old 11-06-2017, 08:17 PM
4wd Low

(I unplugged it and checked volts, I believe it was 9.5 I plugged it back in and unplugged the fuel line and just bumped it over and fuel came out of pump.)

You can rent/borrow a fuel pressure gauge at O'reilly. If there is no fuel the pump is not running
( I'll try a find a gauge but pushing in the valve should have something right? is there more then one Schrader valve?)

(That's what I thought so i check it again and it does spark when cranked, weak though)

You can pull an injector out of the manifold or get a spare and plug it in to to wiring plug - you can see the injector squirting.

( Do they ever fail?)

Old 11-07-2017, 08:51 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,509 Likes on 1,069 Posts

(I unplugged it and checked volts, I believe it was 9.5 I plugged it back in and unplugged the fuel line and just bumped it over and fuel came out of pump.)
( I'll try a find a gauge but pushing in the valve should have something right? is there more then one Schrader valve?)
If you look at this photo you can see the schrader valve for the injectors http://files1.kyozou.com/pictures/_2...6/21545056.jpg

There is a valve with a green cap on it that is the vapor purge line, that won't have any fuel in it.

If you have not downloaded the Rave manual, you need to. You can see more diagrams there.

(That's what I thought so i check it again and it does spark when cranked, weak though)

( Do they ever fail?)
Not sure of that, search the archives. You can buy a code reader off of Amazon for $5, search for a Elm 327 OBD2 bluetooth reader - you can download the free torque app for Android (buy an old Android phone off of ebay). You need to get the codes read. Based on the symptoms you are reporting I suspect a bad crank or cam sensor - assuming there is fuel pressure. They control the injectors. I will reiterate however, if you squirt fuel down the throttle body and there is spark, it will at least pop. Reconsider my advice on the ECU - using used parts off of ebay is like testing for free - you can always resell them.

Old 11-08-2017, 07:25 AM
Mudding
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm not sure about Fuel pressure, when I jumped the relay and the pump was running I pushed in the Schrader valve, I expected fuel to come out but nothing, is there another way to check pressure? the Schrader valve I push was up on manifold next to purge sensor.
Sounds like a bad fuel pump to me but you may want to confirm by giving it a shot of starting fluid and see if it fires.

Quick Reply: My Rover is Dead