Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My throttle body heater is bypassed. Issues?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 12:03 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default My throttle body heater is bypassed. Issues?

Even though it was 10 degrees today, I decided to take a look and see if there is anything else I can look at to see why my truck is running a bit hotter than it should (210 highway, 221 traffic/around town).
I did notice something today that I never looked at in the past. My throttle body heater is bypassed! Now, I really do not think this is the cause of the heating issues (please tell me it is though!), but I'm wondering what other kind of adverse effects it could be having. This has never been in place since I am the owner (over a year).
If you look at the diagram from the Rave linked below, currently hose number 7 goes from the bottom of the coolant tank to the outlet pipe that hose 6 should run into. It does not look like that will interrupt anything in the coolant system as flow remains the same, but the throttle body is not getting heated.
I figure this was left off by accident when the p/o's shop did the HG and many other things, or, it was bypassed due to a leak and never put back on. The pic below shows where the hoses should go.
So, what does the throttle body heater actually do? I assume it's function is more important in the winter months, but I have not seen a set up like this on other cars for figured it was some type of odd LR thing.
Name:  utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTIwMTE1LTAwNDEyLmpwZw.jpg
Views: 710
Size:  104.7 KBlandroverforums.com/forum/attachments/discovery-ii-18/7639d1326427742-wont-take-coolant-d2-cooling-layout-pdf

Old 01-15-2012, 12:07 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Old 01-15-2012, 01:42 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Here's the safety issue - they probably had a leak in the gasket, there is a $24 repair kit from Atlantic British - BUT - if you are driving along with just the right enviromental conditions and outdoor air temp, there is a possibility that your throttle plate could ice up in the open position. So if you were pushing to crest the ridge on the highway, imagine the problems with a vehicle that won't let off the gas as you start down the other side. Until you make repairs be aware of this and prepared to throw tranny to "N" and turn off ignition.

see Throttle Body Heater Plate Kit | Land Rover And Range Rover Fuel System Parts

and the layout is attached.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d2 coolant flow 1.PDF (679.1 KB, 158 views)
Old 01-15-2012, 02:47 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Here's the safety issue - they probably had a leak in the gasket, there is a $24 repair kit from Atlantic British - BUT - if you are driving along with just the right enviromental conditions and outdoor air temp, there is a possibility that your throttle plate could ice up in the open position. So if you were pushing to crest the ridge on the highway, imagine the problems with a vehicle that won't let off the gas as you start down the other side. Until you make repairs be aware of this and prepared to throw tranny to "N" and turn off ignition.

see Throttle Body Heater Plate Kit | Land Rover And Range Rover Fuel System Parts

and the layout is attached.
Gotcha. I was hoping you were going to tell me that I would drop 20 degrees and get 5 more MPG's lol. I'm pretty sure they put a new gasket on there during the TB/HG job before I had it, I think I saw that on the parts list. They did EVERY gasket in there. Hopefully just an oversight. I just grabbed some hose, so I will throw it on and see what happens. If it leaks, I will go back to the way it is and get the kit.
And, should it get stuck at WOT, I will be thankful I'm in a Disco lol.

Old 01-15-2012, 03:25 PM
Winching
Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Snafu / Disco Fries
I'm pretty sure they put a new gasket on there during the TB/HG job before I had it, I think I saw that on the parts list. They did EVERY gasket in there. .
By looking at your pictures, it does not look like it was replaced. The kit includes the gasket and a new bottom piece where the hoses connect, and that bottom piece doesnt look new to me.

Old 01-15-2012, 04:41 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Leaking all over the place! There was a waste of time! Put it back to the way it was and will order the kit. So, to sum it up, the only reason it exists is to prevent icing up? If so, luckily I run a bit warm anyway lol.

Old 01-15-2012, 06:01 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Have you ever heard of carburetor icing?
Throttle bodies to the same thing, the air coming into the engine is extremely cold and moving at high volume and when moisture laden it will form ice on anything it can.
Not to much of a problem in city traffic but on the highway it can be and like already stated your throttle will literally freeze in whatever position it is in and if the icing gets to bad it can restrict air flow and actually stall the engine.
If you live in a low humidity climate probably not much of a issue.
And keep in mind it does not have to be below freezing for this to happen, 36*F or colder with lost of moisture and it will happen.
Ever notice ice forming on the fronts of your mirrors while driving? Ice is also forming on your t-body.
It only happens while driving and not at idle or low speed because there is enough heat built up under the hood to melt any ice that forms.

Old 01-16-2012, 08:10 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Spike555
Have you ever heard of carburetor icing?
Throttle bodies to the same thing, the air coming into the engine is extremely cold and moving at high volume and when moisture laden it will form ice on anything it can.
Not to much of a problem in city traffic but on the highway it can be and like already stated your throttle will literally freeze in whatever position it is in and if the icing gets to bad it can restrict air flow and actually stall the engine.
If you live in a low humidity climate probably not much of a issue.
And keep in mind it does not have to be below freezing for this to happen, 36*F or colder with lost of moisture and it will happen.
Ever notice ice forming on the fronts of your mirrors while driving? Ice is also forming on your t-body.
It only happens while driving and not at idle or low speed because there is enough heat built up under the hood to melt any ice that forms.
Never had, no. I had two Stingray Vettes I was working on restoring, but those were my only non fuel injected cars (and for sure were not driving in the Winter!). It is a valid concept I suppose. I just can't figure out why this truck would need it and others would not. Regardless, I will grab the kit and take care of it, just really hoped it would fix some other stuff!

Old 01-16-2012, 09:43 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not suggesting you bypass it or not, but I bypassed mine after it started to leak about 4 years ago. To this day I haven't experienced any ill effects. I live in NJ, so we don't get the worst winters, but by the same token we get our fair share of cold weather. It is my opinion that by bypassing it, it can never leak ... which isn't something that can be said about most LR items. Best of luck.

Old 01-16-2012, 09:56 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Don't forget there are other ports in the plenum, small ones. Idle speed could be effected too. Not a big deal, just saying......

Quick Reply: My throttle body heater is bypassed. Issues?