Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mysterious Windscreen Crack

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2005 | 08:35 PM
|
5th Gear
Default Mysterious Windscreen Crack

Hi, I own a Discovery II TD5, bought brand new last April. To the point. A large crack has appeared in the middle of my windscreen coming down from the top of the black seal (about 3 inches) then continues to the drivers side (another 3 inches). I had used the car the night before and can be sure it wasn't there then, no stone hit the windscreen, there is no impact dent in the crack, just simply a crack from the black seal. So I am posetive that it's a "Stress Fracture". After taking the car straight to my nearest Land Rover dealer where I bought my car (Merlin) I came away very disappointed and angry. They told me that the crack was caused by a stone hitting the windscreen but there is no way that happened, I don't think they can take the blame of a "Manufacture Defect" to be honest. The car isn't even a year old! So I still have the cracked windscreen. I have had 8 Discoverys and this hasn't been the only time it has happened! This happened to anyone else? Can I have any advice on what to do? I'm so annoyed. Cheers for now, Thomas Hankinson

Old 03-18-2005 | 10:53 PM
Winching
Default RE: Mysterious Windscreen Crack

Hey Thomas,

Stress cracks on DII's are not common in the States. If you follow the crack with A sharp eye, you will see if it has A chip in-line with the crack. This would suggest A stone hit. Your insurance should cover it.

Good luck !

Old 03-19-2005 | 08:44 AM
|
5th Gear

Well Cheers, didn't really want to involve the insurance company, as I am adamant that no stone had hit it, but I geuss the only way I'm going to sort this is by doing just that. So this will be my second windscreen on the car as last time a stone did actually hit me. Why is it always me?! LoL, Thanks anyway guys. If anyone else has had a crack appear please tell me, I'm interested, Thomas Hankinson

Old 03-19-2005 | 09:33 AM
|
5th Gear

Name:  P3190010.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  143.6 KB

Old 03-19-2005 | 02:49 PM
Three Wheeling

Good day,

I looked at the photo provided and I don't know if any one else noticed this or not. Please look at the area I have highlighted in red and see if anyone else think's that this is where the crack origingated from.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 03-19-2005 | 10:30 PM
Winching

Traffic,

Your pic didn't come threw but I'm sure you are referring to one of the two white spots near the top of the pic. That looks like A typical stone chip crack to me.

A good glass shop would be able to tell you for sure.

Old 03-20-2005 | 09:28 PM
Three Wheeling

Good day all,

Yes that's the exact spot I was refering to, sadly I don't seem to have ability to post a photo here. Then again I haven't really figured out how to do it.

Old 03-21-2005 | 11:53 AM
|
5th Gear

That was what Landrover said, that that was the point of impact from a stone, but I can asure you, that mark wasn't there when we took the car in! So I have no idea :s Thomas Hankinson

Old 03-22-2005 | 02:13 AM
Three Wheeling

Good day DiscOwner,

I don't know what your current weather patterns are like in your area, but the only thing I can offer that might be substantial would be the advent of freezing rain. I had a very small nick in my windscreen, freezing rain happened the night before I was to take it in for patchwork and when I went out to my vehicle the next morning there was a nice 20+inch crack. Other than the weather I can't think of anything that would make a windscreen do that. I'll ask a friend of mine who is a vehicle technition if he's heard of any windsheild problems in general that might cause the same thing.

Old 03-22-2005 | 12:08 PM
|
5th Gear

I thought it could be the weather playing a part, as it has been snowing and freezing lately, then we had a day where I was wearing shorts! But surely, it's a 4x4! You would've thought it would be able to put up with this stress? I could understand it if it was my little car, but there's no excuse for my Disco to! Cheers TrafficTech! Tom

Quick Reply: Mysterious Windscreen Crack