Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mythical block grading revealed...

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 01:52 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

Hey how bout you scan all the pages and upload.

Old 11-05-2014, 01:57 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

Any block that is not already cracked will work fine. There are no magic blocks that I know of, and I have seen hundreds of them. Abuse ruins rover engines, you can't overheat them.

Old 11-05-2014, 03:38 PM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

That is a different book. It basically ends with the advent of the 4.2.

Last edited by drowssap; 11-05-2014 at 03:42 PM.
Old 11-05-2014, 03:57 PM
Winching
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Old 11-05-2014, 04:56 PM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts

Originally Posted by RoverMasterTech
Any block that is not already cracked will work fine. There are no magic blocks that I know of, and I have seen hundreds of them. Abuse ruins rover engines, you can't overheat them.
Agreed about overheating, but at what point is the normal operating temp too high for the block after time?

There might NOT be a magical block, but there are definitely some that have thicker walls than others. I will take better photos of the pages that outline this and upload tonight.

Old 11-05-2014, 10:25 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Do not buy it from this guy: http://www.aycs.co.uk/Quick.Cart_v2....ver-V8-Engines
I purchased it and he never delivered. I tried contacting him with no response. Tried to get my money back via PayPal, but I was past the 45 day period.

Old 11-06-2014, 06:49 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

thanks for the heads up

Old 11-06-2014, 11:12 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Looks like a marketing opportunity to me A.

Build a cheap website (easy), fill it with ads, and a revolving list of all of your parts for sale. Put a link to your website in your signatures and all over the web.

From your main website, put a link-through to a tech-tips website, register the tech-tips site in an alias hosted offshore and on that site put up a some free pages from “the book” each week. Then people will have to walk through your parts store to get to the free pages.

Set the tech-tips site up so the only way anyone can get in, to get the latest free pages, is with a key, and they can only get the key from your weekly newsletter/parts list email or from your parts store website. You can change the password/key to the tech-tips site once a week when you revise your parts list and add new pages from the book. That way people couldn't bypass your parts list each week and go directly into the tech-tips site. If I have to climb over all your stuff weekly to get to the key for the next pages, chances are, I'll see something I can't live without eventually.

Wouldn't be that hard to do. Just take the book apart, scan all the pages into a file. Put up 7 pages of the book on your tech-tips website each week so people can copy (without your permission of course), and at the end of that week take those 7 pages down and add the next 7. That will keep people coming back to your website each week to get the next pages where you can remind them, with a list, of all the great parts you have for sale. (The 7 day span would give everyone time to get the current pages so if they were out of pocket for a few days they wouldn't miss out.)

Cheap advertising....a little blackhat but ain't it all....you can put together a website for a few bucks a month now. Getting people to it is what's always been the hard part. The old “if you build it they will come” thing doesn't apply to websites. You have to have bait and you have the perfect bait. I know I would climb over a mile of used parts to get the next 7 pages each week and I'd probably see something I needed every now and then. You could also dangle any new parts you may carry right there before their eyes. Like maybe top-hat blocks and such.

Anyway, after about 6 months of visiting your site once a week, visitors/customers would have the complete book and hopefully some used parts and you would have a new customer base and a large email list of potential customers to send your weekly parts inventory list to and then it would start over again at page 1-7 for those who showed up late.

Put the book pages on the tech tips site and add a small tech-tip each week that relates in some way to the pages and don't forget to add a disclaimer and “for reference only” and “copyrighted material, not for sale, download, or reproduction” at the bottom of each page of “the book”.
They/we would have to sign up for the weekly newsletter/parts inventory e-mail list to get the weekly password and privileges allowing access into the tech tips site where the goods are.

After that it would be free 1-click weekly advertising for you to all on the list... until they got the complete book and they could then opt out if they choose

The main site would be legit and the parts selling end of it would be on the up and up, just the tech-tips site would be hosted offshore so, if something came up to do with copyrights, it wouldn't be worth it for them to jump through all of the legal hoops closing it down. Also since you wouldn't be selling the book, and only putting up a few pages at a time to explain your tech-tip for the week I doubt it be worth it for anyone to try to stop you....and with only 7 pages of material up for grabs at any one time, I'm sure it would be too weak legally for them to pursue.

Anyway, this would work till someone put the whole thing up on a torrent site and then it would be pretty much game over on that. Then you could just keep your main parts site and move on to your next marketing idea.

Now... before anyone starts throwing rocks let the ones who have never downloaded a song, movie, or program cast the first stoned.

Sounds like a lot of work but, just a static list of your used parts that you could revise in a few minutes every week wouldn't be hard once you got it rolling.

Or you could just scan it all and send us all a free copy.

Last edited by RicketyTick; 11-06-2014 at 11:19 AM.
Old 11-06-2014, 11:28 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Then someone will come along and enforce their copyright and you'll be bankrupt.

The following users liked this post:
DustyLBottoms (11-06-2014)
Old 11-06-2014, 12:55 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Colorado David
Then someone will come along and enforce their copyright and you'll be bankrupt.
No way!... not over a few pages. There's not enough there and it's not enough in it for the owners to go through the trouble.
If it was a newly released best seller maybe, but that book has obviously been out of print for sometime.
People have been doing this type of stuff for years. No difference than people putting up a few pages here to make a point.
He could add a small forum to a site for $10 and let someone else put the pages up each week if needed.
I doubt if they'd call in the cavalry over a few stray pages.

Last edited by RicketyTick; 11-06-2014 at 01:10 PM.

Quick Reply: Mythical block grading revealed...