Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Name that sound!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2022, 12:58 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Name that sound!

My son and I participated in a 2 day Bill Burke training. The event was organized through the Land Rover Club of San Diego. It was a great time with lots of learning.

Anyway, when reviewing videos I noticed a disturbing sound (and the reason why I instinctively lifted off the accelerator during the climb). You can hear it around the 18-second mark.

I haven't had a chance to investigate, and it ran fine the rest of the trip.

Any guesses what might have caused the sound?

Old 02-23-2022, 02:10 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,178 Likes on 815 Posts

That was a odd clunk, given the volume and type of sound I would think suspension. Was it a one time thing ?

Old 02-23-2022, 02:18 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Richard Gallant
That was a odd clunk, given the volume and type of sound I would think suspension. Was it a one time thing ?
Yes, first and only time I've heard it. It's almost like a drive shaft wacked something. I'm not familiar enough with how things move while flexing to come up with a good guess.

Old 02-23-2022, 02:27 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 821 Likes on 538 Posts

at work and can't watch but possible for the front drive shaft to have smacked the front crossmember if it's still there? Spring popping in/out of position? Hard to say without knowing what's done to vehicle or being able to watch the video lol

Old 02-23-2022, 02:39 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by whowa004
at work and can't watch but possible for the front drive shaft to have smacked the front crossmember if it's still there? Spring popping in/out of position? Hard to say without knowing what's done to vehicle or being able to watch the video lol
Yes, the front crossmember is still installed. The right front wheel was dropped into a rut, and the left front was pushed up...I wonder if that was the culprit.

Old 02-23-2022, 02:45 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 120 Likes on 70 Posts

if you still have your front crossmember installed and not spaced out / removed, I suspect it's your front driveshaft hitting that. I noticed a similar sound and when I was under my truck last to grease my tie rods and driveshafts, I noticed the zerk for the slip in front was totally sheared.

The following 2 users liked this post by andino:
Richard Gallant (02-23-2022), sdtimb (02-23-2022)
Old 02-23-2022, 04:36 PM
Three Wheeling

Mystery solved! I found evidence of a conflict between the crossmemeber and the front driveshaft. Thankfully, it looks pretty cosmetic.

Has anyone modified the cross member to allow for additional clearance, or is the preferred method to remove it?

Old 02-23-2022, 04:50 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 821 Likes on 538 Posts

You can buy "spacers" but way over priced for what it is. Plus just lowers something else to snag rocks. Removing it makes the most sense.

Old 02-24-2022, 11:19 AM
Mudding
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Listening to your video and you have a similar "diesel chug" that I currently have. I think I had it on one of my old '04s too. Is that an exhaust leak? Trying to figure out where mine's coming from. Only happens on acceleration and doesn't seem to be present at idle.

Old 02-24-2022, 01:11 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by specops1526
Listening to your video and you have a similar "diesel chug" that I currently have. I think I had it on one of my old '04s too. Is that an exhaust leak? Trying to figure out where mine's coming from. Only happens on acceleration and doesn't seem to be present at idle.
Ha! I like to pretend that I have a TD5. Yes, I have a very small exhaust leak under the heat shield on one of my cats. I had it diagnosed a while back, but didn't have it fixed because they wanted ~$900+labor (I live in CA).

My plan is to cut off the heat shield, 'patch' the hole, then cover the cat with heat shield wrap. I actually just ordered new gaskets and plan on doing the repair as soon as they arrive.

Quick Reply: Name that sound!