Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

nearing 200k. what major service do i need?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 07:45 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nearing 200k. what major service do i need?

I have a 2000 and its been a workhorse for me. I have always kept up with routine maint such as fluids and tune up parts and just recently did the valve cover gaskets (are the rocker shafts supposed to be that dry?) But what else can I do to see another 200k miles? I read recently about the timing chain and that's what got me thinking. So any suggestions? I was thinking about getting one of those master coolant hose kits from rovers north. Any other comments or advice would be great. Thanks!

Old 12-27-2012, 07:53 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oil pump and timing chain are due and will probably need a valve adjustment to go another round. I would also get started on another major service. And also i would be looking at replacing the radiator and do a good flush in order to keep blockage from forming.

Old 12-27-2012, 07:57 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Do nothing other than what you are already doing.
Land Rover will tell you that, any mechanic worth his weight will tell you that, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:03 PM
Mudding

Well there are two conflicting answers. Is there a write up for the oil pump and timing chain? I have the manual electronically but like the first hand stuff to compliment it.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:16 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Is there anything currently wrong with it? No? Then leave it alone.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:32 PM
Mudding

Emphatically agree with the above philosophy of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!" Routine maintenance is, of course, another matter and kudos to you for keeping up with it. But opening up the engine and replacing parts that are still functioning can often lead to a money pit/ can of worms situation.

Old 12-28-2012, 12:17 AM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Leaving a engine alone can cause catastrophic failure. Water pumps fail going down highway if in traffic your engine can overheat before you can get over or stopped and its time for a rebuild

Oil pumps fail if not rebuilt or replaced. If on open express way and pump fails ka clink ka clink and shes locked up

Radiators clog causing truck to overheat time for a rebuild

Timing chains stretch or worse break and cause a big expense bill

Fluids break down over time causing excessive and premature parts failure

Crank shaft position sensors fail its fact so its way more comfortable and cheap to change it every 100k in your garage instead of on the side of highway or worse after a tow truck ride.

Spark plugs are not a life time warranty and neither are wires. Why because they also break down

Hoses dry rot and crack for a few bucks you can buy a few feet of hose and replace the vacuum hoses .If you go threw & replace these things you have a whole lot less of a chance to be driving down the highway and become face to face with a vacuum issue.

Alternators fail why let it happen? When you can be up on maintenance and have piece of mind I buy lifetime warranty on all my replacement parts. So every time you feel like a new alternator you take your old one off take it to autozone and exchange it. (Every other year) same with water pump, that way if for any reason you in there you can go the rest of the way and when you put things back together its all new again.

Ya know you can wait until it happens and deal with it or you can if it does not financially stress you and you would and rather take the steps to prevent engine failure then these would be those steps. Personally I would rather buy piece of mind then wait for the timing chain to snap in the middle of Wyoming in a snow storm.

Am I paranoid no I just like to know that all is good then be able to get in and enjoy my truck

Its called preventive maintenance for me it makes sense.

Last edited by lr2001silver; 12-28-2012 at 01:09 AM.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:52 AM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Until Jan 2 2013 you can get a zero percent car loan with
no interest, and $250 down on most vehicles at most any car dealer.

This is under consideration.

At $200K your rover is worth $1000 to $2000 tops.
So, trade it in.

Before it blows the transmission and then you are into real money.

Old 12-28-2012, 11:16 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

If you plan on keeping your truck you need to take care of it, consider using my major service guide at the top of this section with the exception of the front drive shaft if already done.
With high mileage comes faster wear, so yes the oil pump and timing chain are a must, your cam lobes are also pretty warn by now.
For the tranny, service it every 15,000 to 20,000 miles to keep it happy and up grade all your fluid to give you better protection.
Shout if you have any problems.

Old 12-28-2012, 06:44 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by lr2001silver
Leaving a engine alone can cause catastrophic failure. Water pumps fail going down highway if in traffic your engine can overheat before you can get over or stopped and its time for a rebuild

Oil pumps fail if not rebuilt or replaced. If on open express way and pump fails ka clink ka clink and shes locked up

Radiators clog causing truck to overheat time for a rebuild

Timing chains stretch or worse break and cause a big expense bill

Fluids break down over time causing excessive and premature parts failure

Crank shaft position sensors fail its fact so its way more comfortable and cheap to change it every 100k in your garage instead of on the side of highway or worse after a tow truck ride.

Spark plugs are not a life time warranty and neither are wires. Why because they also break down

Hoses dry rot and crack for a few bucks you can buy a few feet of hose and replace the vacuum hoses .If you go threw & replace these things you have a whole lot less of a chance to be driving down the highway and become face to face with a vacuum issue.

Alternators fail why let it happen? When you can be up on maintenance and have piece of mind I buy lifetime warranty on all my replacement parts. So every time you feel like a new alternator you take your old one off take it to autozone and exchange it. (Every other year) same with water pump, that way if for any reason you in there you can go the rest of the way and when you put things back together its all new again.

Ya know you can wait until it happens and deal with it or you can if it does not financially stress you and you would and rather take the steps to prevent engine failure then these would be those steps. Personally I would rather buy piece of mind then wait for the timing chain to snap in the middle of Wyoming in a snow storm.

Am I paranoid no I just like to know that all is good then be able to get in and enjoy my truck

Its called preventive maintenance for me it makes sense.
And the truck can be stolen tonight, a tree can fall on it and crush it, he could fall over dead of a heart attack, anything could happen at anytime with any car no matter the miles, make, year, etc.
If you are going to worry that much about things then dont own a car.
He could get a flat tire and roll over too.
So by your logic he should buy new tires every week.
Not everybody is made of money, pay attention to your truck, keep ontop of maintenance, dont beat the crap out of it and it will last as long as it is going to last.

Quick Reply: nearing 200k. what major service do i need?