Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need advice before I off-road me Disco 1

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 03:30 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

The steering damper is vulnerable to getting bashed where it is in the stock location. A lot of people, me included, buy or make a relocation kit and mount it up higher forward of the axle.
If your Disco is still pretty stock, remove the front bumper air dam, or whatever it's called.
Removing the front and rear sway bars will give you better articulation and, IMO, aren't really needed on the D1 (I have no idea what CDN law is about having them removed for on-road use).
Make sure you have some recovery points and recovery gear. At least JATE rings in the front and rear, or in the front and a receiver shackle in the rear.

The Cooper Discoverer are very good tires, I've never heard anyone who didn't like them.

Old 04-08-2010, 09:49 AM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by oysterhead
my advice is to watch out for rocks.

they can damage your truck.

good point. as evidenced by my passenger door hahahaa

Attached Thumbnails need advice before I off-road me Disco 1-roversmash9.jpg  
Old 04-08-2010, 10:35 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by yloDiscoII
I think you will be pleasantly surprised with the performance of your Disco off road, especially with that extra 2" of ground clearance from the lift. Get out there and enjoy it!
Don't wanna pop no bubbles here but

2" of suspension lift does not make ground clearance. Ground clearance only comes from larger diameter tires or a high centered independent axle (like Hummers). From the center of the axle to the ground is half the diameter of the tire - but, from the lowest point of any vehicle to the ground is the ground clearance - by adding a suspension lift (putting a greater distance between the axle and the body of the vehicle) enables you to install bigger tires. Thus increasing the distance from the center of the axle to the ground which at this point is directly related to the distance from the lowest point of the vehicle to the ground.

Not trying to say anybody is doing anything wrong, its just that i see people get this wrong (unfortunately a lot)

If i dint convey this in a manner that makes sense - the ones that know it better than i will surely chime in.

Cheers

Robert

Old 04-08-2010, 10:50 AM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Night Train
Don't wanna pop no bubbles here but

2" of suspension lift does not make ground clearance. Ground clearance only comes from larger diameter tires or a high centered independent axle (like Hummers). From the center of the axle to the ground is half the diameter of the tire - but, from the lowest point of any vehicle to the ground is the ground clearance - by adding a suspension lift (putting a greater distance between the axle and the body of the vehicle) enables you to install bigger tires. Thus increasing the distance from the center of the axle to the ground which at this point is directly related to the distance from the lowest point of the vehicle to the ground.
Geez, sorry professor

I am well aware that a lift by itself does not increase overall ground clearance, just ASSUMING he was going to install larger tires with his lift thereby raising his overall ground clearance, improve approach angles, etc,...sorry for my poor choice of wording though

But I do agree 100% with you that a lift and ground clearance are often misunderstood....my favorite example are J**P owners that put 4" body lift spacers on and think their rock crawlers all of the sudden

Old 04-08-2010, 11:20 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Actually a suspension lift will increase the ground clearance under most of your vehicle, just not your minimum ground clearance, which is bottom of diff to the ground.
You are correct that the only thing that will increase the minimum clearance is larger tires, or portal axles.
So even a suspension lift can help off-road capability depending on where you drive, and how good you are at picking a line.
Land Rover specifies the minimum ground clearance for it's vehicles. 8.4" for a fully laden Disco 1 with stock tires.

Last edited by antichrist; 04-08-2010 at 11:23 AM.
Old 04-08-2010, 03:46 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by antichrist
The steering damper is vulnerable to getting bashed where it is in the stock location. A lot of people, me included, buy or make a relocation kit and mount it up higher forward of the axle.
If your Disco is still pretty stock, remove the front bumper air dam, or whatever it's called.
Removing the front and rear sway bars will give you better articulation and, IMO, aren't really needed on the D1 (I have no idea what CDN law is about having them removed for on-road use).
Make sure you have some recovery points and recovery gear. At least JATE rings in the front and rear, or in the front and a receiver shackle in the rear.

The Cooper Discoverer are very good tires, I've never heard anyone who didn't like them.
Not to hijack the thread, but can you provide info on relocating the Steering Damper? Possibly a stickie or a write-up with pics in a new thread.

I also agree with removing the front "spoiler". I pulled mine off today and the difference is amazing. I have some pics to post later.

A lift may not improve the clearance between the diff's and the ground but it will help keep from dragging the factory running boards, but you may want to ****** those off at home before you go rather than rip them off on the trail like mine did on the right side.

"Just Don't Flip Your Rover Over"

Old 04-08-2010, 08:02 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

A lift does a better job at increasing the approach and departure angles.

Old 04-08-2010, 11:13 PM
Mudding

Hey guys, so i tested the t-case shifter.

I can move from 4H to 4L nicely, but I couldnt move it into the diff lock position.

my driveway has a small incline i tried at a stand still and slightly rolling...

do I really have to giver in order to move the shifter??

I feel dumb asking, but I'd rather not doing anything I'm not suppossed too...

a couple more questions....

what is the best all round tire size? my truck will see alot of road use, I do plan to regularly off road it as well.

so I dont want to turn it into a dog on the road, and i dont want it to handle like poop either....but I still want a tire that will be capable off road. now keep in mind I'm doing the 2" lift for its benifits, but also because I got 4 saggy springs and 4 leaky shocks....

and what do you guys with your experience recommend for fluids?

engine oil: what grade for what time of year?

tranny fluid

diffs

transfer case

thanks again guys

Matt

Old 04-08-2010, 11:31 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need to use the search function.

I say you should go with 245/75/16.

Old 04-08-2010, 11:47 PM
Mudding

I actually do use the search function, but I feel more confortable with taking advice from the regulars on this forum, as they seem know their stuff. Plus Im a big fan of geting "current" advice.

I've been around vw fourms alot...when you search sometimes you might miss a new piece of advice or a new find or whatever...

Quick Reply: need advice before I off-road me Disco 1