Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need To Clean My Engine

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 08:45 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need To Clean My Engine

I'm seeing some minor leakage on my driveway that I cannot pin down. I don't have a pressure washer, so I guess the carwash is the best bet. But, how long should I let my engine cool before spraying it? Thanks in advance.

Old 12-31-2010, 09:42 AM
Recovery Vehicle

I usually wash the rest of the truck first before I do my motor. By that time the motor is usually cool enough to wash. Id say 10-15 minutes is about what it takes me before I go under the hood.

Old 12-31-2010, 10:04 AM
Mudding

Sounds about right. Thanks.

Old 12-31-2010, 10:06 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Just make sure to stay away from electrical plugs an sensors with the high pressure spray.

Old 01-02-2011, 11:57 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do you guys use just water on the engine or do you use soap then rinse? I've always been really nervous spraying soap/water on any of the engine itself.

Old 01-02-2011, 12:00 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Do whatever you want just watch the ecu.

But it's much more common and a professional practice to leave the engine running as you wash.

Old 01-02-2011, 02:28 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Engine cleaning suggestion:

You may find the car wash pressure wash can't get the engine sufficiently clean for visual inspection. I could not get the pressure wash wand underneath the engine. I was able to get pressure was the top and back between engine and firewall. I did the following to clean my engine.

Use car stands or ramps to support the vehicle. Be sure to chock at least one of the wheels in contact with the ground. The chock from the vehicle tire changing kit can be used. After raising the vehicle, I used a combination of the following.

Gunk spray or similar product and spray on the engine. From underneath spray the oil pan, block, head, and front cover. From underneath, spray along the transmission bell housing upward to clean the aft left and right side and as much of the back of the engine as possible. A parts brush to agitate areas of the engine you can reach is helpful.

Use the hand sprayer with a hot water-soap mixture to wash the engine where you sprayed gunk. Next use the hand sprayer with water to rinse off soap and gunk.

Use a shop vac (home depot bucket head and bucket worked well) or leaf blower to blow water off and out of the engine area.

Use rags to wipe down portions of the engine. Spot spray and wipe areas that need still need cleaning. Use a head lamp for hands free work.

Visual inspection.

An inspection mirror and step ladder can be very helpful. Run the engine and observe the temperature gauge to rise. Turn the engine off.

From underneath, visually inspect the engine and bell housing. The head lamp and a flash light is helpful. You can't see the back of the engine so look for oil or coolant streams and try to trace upward to the source. Give particular attention to the left and right rear areas of the engine. Also inspect the left and right front of the engine front cover. Check hoses for leakage.

From topside using a flash light and inspection mirror visually inspect the back of the engine where the head contacts the block. Also inspect underneath the throttle body for coolant. Check hoses for leakage.

I know this seems a bit much but not knowing your experience I wanted share how I cleaned mine to find my leaks. On mine I found oil leaks evident from both valve cover gaskets. Coolant leak evident from throttle body, left side front cover and both head gaskets on the back of the engine. All repairable for a price.

Best of luck