Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need go get hood open on D2 asap - help anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 02:37 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need go get hood open on D2 asap - help anyone?

OK - my battery is completely dead, keyless entry does not work and the truck will not unlock with the key. That said, I read a post about charging the battery through the starter (no luck after an hour) so I removed the drivers headlight, but do not see anywhere where I can open the hood from there unless I cut apart the cable. Can anyone help please? I am desperate to get into the truck.....Thanks in advance -

Last edited by blast20; 04-18-2010 at 03:09 PM.
Old 04-18-2010, 03:25 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There was a recent post about a LR3 owner that fried his ECU by trying to use a battery charger without disconnecting his battery from the vehicle, so be careful hooking up any additional input voltages like you describe.

You may have to sacrifice your grill to get to the release mechanism. Or possibly if the pull cable is stuck you may be aBLE TO HELP THE SITUATION BY MANIPULATING THE CABLE DOWN BY THE RELEAS HANDLE.

Good Luck

Old 04-18-2010, 03:32 PM
Mudding

I just have not had any luck with hooking up to the starter wire anyway, but hopefully I can get the hood up and not have to go that route anyway. I do see the hood cable behind the headlight, but nothing happens when I pull it....just not sure if I'm doing something wrong. More help / comments greatly appreciated!!

Old 04-18-2010, 04:24 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if the battery is dead you can't unlock door by inserting key in door and turning?

Old 04-18-2010, 04:46 PM
Mudding

Nope - apparently the "super lock" is on. The key will not work to unlock the door.

Here's an update - I took a volt meter and did find 12-volts on the lead coming off of the starter underneath. So, being as that would indicate that I do have a good battery, is it possible that all of a sudden, my key FOB would not be working all of a sudden? I tested the battery in the FOB, and that is fine (showing 3v on the meter). So basically, I came back from vacation (gone 1 week) and now my locked truck, with apparently a "good" battery (from what I can tell based on having 12-volts at the starter) cannot be unlocked. Off to the dealer I guess (and hour away) with my key to be re-programmed???

Old 04-18-2010, 05:25 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would hire a lock smith to come and open the door..... thats just me though

Old 04-18-2010, 05:28 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by NiteTrain
if the battery is dead you can't unlock door by inserting key in door and turning?
DII's only have a keyed door on the drivers side, if your battery goes dead and your lock is frozen from lack of use (come on, who actually uses their key when they have keyless entry?) you are screwed.
DI's have keyed doors on both sides, I use mine once a month to make sure they work and lube them every 6 months with silicone spray.
If you "superlock" your truck and your battery goes dead then you are super screwed.

His best option at this point is to replace the battery in the remote and bring a can of spray lube back to his truck and if the remote still does not work lube the lock and try that.
If that still does not work and he is not 100% sure the battery is good then he either needs to break a window or cut the hood release cable and yank on it with pliers.
Some have had luck with a big screwdriver and using that to release the hood after removing the grill.

Have you tried unlocking the cargo door with the key?

Old 04-18-2010, 05:34 PM
Mudding

Unfortunately, D2's don't have a key hole on the rear gate. I'm pretty sure the vehicle's battery is good based on the fact I have 12-volts on the wire that goes from the battery to the starter. I'm guessing I have a bad remote all of a sudden....if not, I guess I'll be wasting $120 at the dealer this week to "reprogram" it, even it it doesn't need it, only to find that it does not fix my problem. What a royal pain ....

Old 04-18-2010, 05:40 PM
Team Owner

Lets hope the remote just does not have enough juice to open the truck but still kept its memory.
Replace the remotes battery and then try.

Old 04-18-2010, 05:42 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by blast20
Unfortunately, D2's don't have a key hole on the rear gate.
Wow, I did not know that.
So DII's dont have a key hole on the passenger door or the cargo door...yet another reason to own a DI.

Quick Reply: Need go get hood open on D2 asap - help anyone?