Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help with Britpart Springs and Gaz Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2020, 12:16 PM
Received 1,151 Likes on 796 Posts

Just checked the the Rave, GVW is basically the same stock springs or SLS. Rear Axle loading is higher but as @mollusc notes that relates more to towing.

So basically you are running the equivalent of stock springs in the rear, If you can I would try unloading the roof rack, see if the issue remains. If so you may have an issue with the SLS or ACE

From RAVE

NOTE: The rear axle load for vehicles with self levelling suspension can be increased to a maximum of 1928 kg (4249
lb) when towing, provided road speed is limited to 60 mph (100 km/h).

NOTE: Axle weights are non additive. The individual maximum weights and gross vehicle weight must not be
exceeded.

kgs/ lbs
Unladen weight:

⇒ V8 models 2095 - 2235 4619 - 4928
⇒ Td5 model 2150 - 2280 4740 - 5027

Max.GVW:

⇒ All 5 seat vehicles (coil springs) 2750 6063
⇒ All 7 seat Diesel engine vehicles (coil springs) 2880 6347
⇒ All 7 seat Petrol engine vehicles (coil springs) 2825 6215
⇒ V8 models with self levelling suspension 2825 6228
⇒ Td5 models with self levelling suspension 2880 6349

Max. front axle load 1200 2646

Max. rear axle load:
⇒ With coil springs 1720 3792
⇒ With self levelling suspension 1800 3968

Here is my Disco, it was a 7 seater, the jump seats and 60% seat are removed. The tent, awning and bars work out to about 150 lbs in total. Even empty I have no significant body roll. My off road load is kept below the rear window line.

And this may help - that red Disco has a lot of extra weight up top and he has very little extra roll - all springs as well

Old 12-09-2020, 03:08 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dave03S
You ordered stock replacement springs. No lift and not heavy duty.

Maybe the extra weight clapped out your OG springs leading to the instability... And I think Richard was saying you were overloading the roof, not the truck.

You may want a taller or stiffer spring after you see how the front sits with those Britparts... Sounds like OME HD would work fine in your case.

Let us know how that works for you.
You should read before you comment. I ordered Britpart Heavy Duty springs. They are not stock. They will give 1.5 * 2.5 inches of lift depending on load and good for up to 220 lbs. At least thats what it says.

The roof isn't overloaded anymore that it was before. I HAD stock ACE factory springs with no issues. I added the ARB bumper and HB winch and it sunk 2 inches. I added the Britpart heavy duty springs and + 2 shocks and it's back up to where it was before BUT the shop said it SWAYS. It did not sway before the ARB bumper and winch and new shocks were added/.

Wondering if Old Man Emu Extra Heavy Duty Front Springs would make any difference over the Britpart.

Old 12-09-2020, 03:09 PM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

I followed the link you posted before I commented.

Old 12-09-2020, 03:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Richard Gallant
Just checked the the Rave, GVW is basically the same stock springs or SLS. Rear Axle loading is higher but as @mollusc notes that relates more to towing.

So basically you are running the equivalent of stock springs in the rear, If you can I would try unloading the roof rack, see if the issue remains. If so you may have an issue with the SLS or ACE

From RAVE

Here is my Disco, it was a 7 seater, the jump seats and 60% seat are removed. The tent, awning and bars work out to about 150 lbs in total. Even empty I have no significant body roll. My off road load is kept below the rear window line.

And this may help - that red Disco has a lot of extra weight up top and he has very little extra roll - all springs as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZTiHo0dA8k

No wrong You cant be running the equiv. of stock springs in the rear when the PSI increases to compensate..

Old 12-09-2020, 03:15 PM
Banned

You ordered stock replacement springs. No lift and not heavy duty.

Maybe the extra weight clapped out your OG springs leading to the instability... And I think Richard was saying you were overloading the roof, not the truck.

You may want a taller or stiffer spring after you see how the front sits with those Britparts... Sounds like OME HD would work fine in your case.

Let us know how that works for you.
You are not reading my post. I did not order stock replacement springs. I ordered Britpart Heavy duty springs with +2 inches of lift built in and also thier GAZ shocks with + 2 inches of extension build in ....

The truck sits fine. The issue is that it's top heavy and swaying after the ARB bumper and winch. The shop asked me if I had ACE. I found that strange since they should know it's ACE when putting the shocks on. But I don't see how ACE would affect it. The rears are SLS AIR.

Does anyone here have any experience with this ?

Old 12-09-2020, 03:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jackspratt2
Does anyone know if Discovery 1 heavy duty springs will fit on a Discovery 2 with ACE ?
CAN D1 springs fit on a D2 with ACE ?

Old 12-09-2020, 03:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Richard Gallant
You are overloaded for the springs, those only add 100 to 200 Lbs of extra weight.

You have 100Lbs on the rack + rack weight depending the rack that adds 75 to 100 + lbs The dynamic load roof load of a Disco 2 is 160 lbs tops, with a stock suspension so you are over.
Then you have the winch and bumper another 100.
You still have not added anything else

You need to do your suspension properly not toss parts at it.
ARB deluxe Bumper is about 90 lbs I think .. .... the 12k HB winch is 70 lbs I think .. So that's 160 lbs on the front end give or take . plus an extra battery and bigger radiator .. . But that's below 220 lbs and the BP HD springs are advertised as up to 100 kilos (220 lbs).

I got about 100 lbs or less on the rack .. a 33 spare tire hanging off the back .. and another 100 lbs of gear in the truck. I had 6 people in the truck once average weight maybe 180 lbs each .. that's over 1000 lbs on stock springs before the Britpart HD were added and it didn't sway ..

Old 12-09-2020, 03:28 PM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

In 9 years of being on here and 13 years of ownership I've never heard of anyone using Britpart springs or GAZ shocks. Britpart doesn't enjoy a great reputation for quality or even for parts being as advertised.

Congrats on being the first.

Looks like it will be up to you to let us all know how that goes.

Old 12-09-2020, 03:29 PM
Banned

I followed the link you posted before I commented.

And it says HD springs right?...

Old 12-09-2020, 03:38 PM
Banned

In 9 years of being on here and 13 years of ownership I've never heard of anyone using Britpart springs or GAZ shocks. Britpart doesn't enjoy a great reputation for quality or even for parts being as advertised.

Congrats on being the first.

Looks like it will be up to you to let us all know how that goes.

There are other threads where people have used them and AB sells them in kits. Since I only have 2 springs I don't need the kits they sell. And the only place to order them from was LRpartsdirect.

Those HD Springs are 60-70 bucks for 2 .. you cant beat the price.

Quick Reply: Need Help with Britpart Springs and Gaz Shocks