Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help Deciding on an 03 S

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 04:26 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need Help Deciding on an 03 S

I am looking for advice on buying a 03 Disco S with 58,000 miles on it. It was a mechanics lean where they replaced the fuel pump (thinking that was a problem) and eventually replaced the crank sensor.

Mike thanks for the tip on staying away from the 03 due to oil pump issues. I am very mechanical, have rebuilt motors, etc. Is replacing the oil pump an easy task or abnormally hard on these? I read that mid way through 03 they fixed this issue?? I have the vin, anyway to tell the production date, I forgot to look at the door and it is 3 hours away.

What other normal mechanical problems occur with these models? Does the driver seat move up and down at all?

My wife is an accountant and everything has to be calculated. We looked up this year on Consumer Reports and they hammered it. So I really need to convince my wife that I can do preventative maintanence to keep repair costs down.

I have had a full time 4wd Toyota before and used to take out the front drive shaft to save gas on trips that I did not plan to use 4wd. Can you do that on this model?

Thanks for any advice you can give me. I appreciate the time.

Attached Thumbnails Need Help Deciding on an 03 S-p1000507.jpg   Need Help Deciding on an 03 S-p1000513.jpg   Need Help Deciding on an 03 S-p1000516.jpg   Need Help Deciding on an 03 S-p1000518.jpg   Need Help Deciding on an 03 S-p1000523.jpg  

Old 06-07-2009, 04:30 PM
Three Wheeling
Default PS

There is an Infinity Subwoofer?? in the back, is this stock at all?

Old 06-07-2009, 06:15 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Do a search for the bad VIN range for 2003 Discoveries. They had a bunch of bad engines that the oil pumps fail and destroy the engine. The only fix is a new engine. Even if the vehicles falls in the range of bad engines it doesn't necessarily the engine in the one you are looking at is effected.

Old 06-07-2009, 07:22 PM
Three Wheeling
Default thanks

I will try that, please anyone else with any advice on the 03 or the LR in general please leave a note

Old 06-07-2009, 09:42 PM
Three Wheeling
Default thanks

The vin number is before the start number by 300, has there been issues with oil pumps before the start number?

Old 06-07-2009, 09:55 PM
4wd Low

just a side note.i dont know if you have looked up other years of the discovery on consumer reports.the reason i ask is because they pretty much hammer every year these were made.just goes with the territory.

Old 06-07-2009, 10:16 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

https://landroverforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=21328

No you can NOT remove the front, or rear driveshaft to save gas, you would blow a diff if you could even drive it.
Because it is a '03 it does not have a CDL (center locking differential) and with one driveshaft removed and no CDL locked the truck would not move.
So you remove the front driveshaft, try to drive, the front output shaft on the transfer case would just spin because that would be were the least resistance would be and the rear shaft would not move at all.
If you had a CDL and it was locked you could drive the truck in 2wd but you would risk blowing your diff.

Last edited by Spike555; 06-08-2009 at 08:06 AM. Reason: wrong link
Old 06-07-2009, 10:35 PM
Three Wheeling
Default thanks

Humm, have to look at why the Toyota could do it, and learn more about this vehicle. Thanks for the input. I think I am going to get it. Appreciate.

It seems like a thread on this would be fitting, I have read a lot of threads but nothing really complete on the "normal" problems. I had a Jeep once and the forum included a year range and issues to look out for and only a moderator could add to it. Just a thought

Please keep the info coming.

Old 06-07-2009, 10:59 PM
4th Gear

I have an 03, been very good to me for the past 2 years. Still nervous, but it's been good thus far. Especially during winter.

Doing spark plug wires now, what a pita.

Old 06-08-2009, 08:10 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by possibly owner

It seems like a thread on this would be fitting, I have read a lot of threads but nothing really complete on the "normal" problems. I had a Jeep once and the forum included a year range and issues to look out for and only a moderator could add to it. Just a thought

Please keep the info coming.
https://landroverforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=21328

I meant to copy this link for you yesterday but I pasted the wrong one.

Here is trhe problem with listing the various plus'-minus' with each adn every year/model.
The DI is the same no matter the year, different option packages but for all intensive purposes they are the same.
Same thing with the DII, if it aint broke dont fix it.
The only difference between DII's is the '03-'04 modle years, different sized engine, it is the same block as the 4.0, only different guts.
You wont find a sticky on these problems because those with a DI LOVE them and they can do no wrong, those with a DII LOVE them and they can do no wrong.
Disco owners are very biased.

Quick Reply: Need Help Deciding on an 03 S