Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need a mechanic recommendation (DC Metro area)

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 07:26 AM
JAC
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need a mechanic recommendation (DC Metro area)

I posted a topic a few days ago about some issues with my 04 DII. I have not been driving aside from each evening I've started the vehicle from cold and wait to get the engine up to temp by circling the block a few time. I've observed the following symptoms:
- white smoke from exhaust for 10-15 seconds (no smoke once engine warms and no smoke after a warm start)
- engine misfire on cylinder 6 at cold start (fault clears when engine is warm)
- rough idle at cold start which stops when engine is warm
- very slight loss of coolant
- once the engine cools, i loosen the coolant reservoir cap and there is a "hiss" and coolant moves back into the reservoir

- There is no "chocolate milk" look to the oil

Based on these systems, I think it is pretty clear that I have a leaking head gasket (truck has never--to my knowledge--overheated). About 6 weeks ago, I replaced the spark plugs and wires and had the valley pan gasket replaced. Now, the work is under warranty but my mechanic has closed temporarily to relocate, which leads to my first question:

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a mechanic in the DC Metro area? I'd prefer to stay inside the beltway so I can minimize the miles that I have to drive to get the car to the mechanic.

Second, is it possible/plausible that my head gasket would go 6 weeks after the valley pan gasket was replaced? I'm not looking forward to this upcoming expense, but the miles are low and I hope to drive this truck for many years to come.

Thanks to the help that everyone has provided over my 18 months of sometimes turbulent LR ownership.