Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need a new Catalytic converter

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2021, 08:01 PM
Mudding
Received 70 Likes on 41 Posts

I never had a rattle in mine. Never got any codes pertaining to catalysts. All I ever got was cylinder misfires on 1,3,5,7 and multiple cylinder misfire. So I ordered this catalytic converter off eBay. It was fairly cheap I guess.

This did the trick. I have no more misfires and I have noticeable increase in power. Before I struggled to get up and incline, could never hold my speed. Now I can accelerate up hills. Finally running on all 8 cylinders instead of 4. I’m sure I’ll see an increase in gas mileage as well... maybe.

These CATS were a pain in the @$$ to install. The bends were kinda off I think. You might be better off with the 1 piece design. Fitting the one pipe into the other was a beast. It had a taper to it so it wouldn’t fit all the way in. I had to work it, twisting and beating on the one piece to get it in far enough. It didn’t quit line up with the tailpipe/muffler. I had to put a floor jack under it to lift it up and use a cargo strap to pull it over to the side a bit to get it fitted.

other than that it worked great!

Old 02-07-2021, 11:45 PM
Winching
Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by tnrangerover
While you may need cats, you should also do an intake smoke test. I had a similar issue on my old DII and it was bad injector O rings, so you could have a vacuum leak somewhere.
How would you know you have bad injector o rings based on the smoke test? Thanks!

Old 02-08-2021, 09:25 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

We just replaced the gaskets and the studs. I thought that was the fix but not really. I suppose that we could recheck for tightness when cold. It definitely sounds like a leak or pneumatic issue versus a motor issue. I guess that I could need a new resonator as I believe the one that is on there is the original.

Old 02-08-2021, 10:52 AM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

The welds could be failed around the upper flanges, that is what happened to me. New Y pipe was in order. Magnaflow fit perfectly, Still had plenty of leaks afterward... Had to go back and tighten everything when cold, at the manifold and at the resonator end as well as the joint where the two pieces fit together. Actually I had to get a better clamp for that joint, the one supplied was not sufficient. Ended up getting a Walker Mega Clamp which solved that leak.