Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need ONE plug wire for now ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 08:05 AM
Winching
Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Need ONE plug wire for now ASAP

Hi all,
A few days ago the Disco II began shaking, misfire, CEL light came on so I began looking. Finally pulled all the caps off the plugs and one came off with the wire pulled apart with the metal cap still stuck to a plug. I need to stop at the parts store today and get a temporary wire until I can order a full set. What should I ask for at NAPA or O'Reilly to get me setup temporarily? I've read folks like Magnacore or the cheaper Kingsborne. I also read 7mm, 8mm or STI. What will the local parts store carry in a single wire I can ask for?

PS: not long ago we had the mechanic replace the head gasket and I read on the invoice he replaced the plugs with +4's but not the wires. Just for whatever it is worth mentioning.

Update: Just ordered a set of Kingsborne 8mm wires, but they'll take a few days to arrive. Still need the one.

Thanks!
Jamie

Last edited by jamieb; 09-14-2015 at 08:45 AM.
Old 09-14-2015, 10:07 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 91 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by jamieb
Hi all,
A few days ago the Disco II began shaking, misfire, CEL light came on so I began looking. Finally pulled all the caps off the plugs and one came off with the wire pulled apart with the metal cap still stuck to a plug. I need to stop at the parts store today and get a temporary wire until I can order a full set. What should I ask for at NAPA or O'Reilly to get me setup temporarily? I've read folks like Magnacore or the cheaper Kingsborne. I also read 7mm, 8mm or STI. What will the local parts store carry in a single wire I can ask for?

PS: not long ago we had the mechanic replace the head gasket and I read on the invoice he replaced the plugs with +4's but not the wires. Just for whatever it is worth mentioning.

Update: Just ordered a set of Kingsborne 8mm wires, but they'll take a few days to arrive. Still need the one.

Thanks!
Jamie
Parts stores carry single wires. But they won't be anything fancy. For a few days you don't need anything fancy. Just be sure it's seated properly when you fit it.

It will probably be over long, one size fits all. So you'll have to pin/clip/tie it up out of the way. You don't want it flopping around and resting on hot things, burning through.

The following users liked this post:
jamieb (09-14-2015)
Old 09-14-2015, 11:28 AM
Winching

Thanks! Just wanted to be sure that a generic wire wouldn't interfere in some way with Land Rover's ignition system in ways I could not imagine.

Sounds good.

One more question please - I may have to recruit my wife or son with smaller hands to reach back to the coil pack. What is the best way to not get them shocked? Is it disconnect the battery cable only? Or just if I hit metal with the screwdriver prying the cap off the coil? If they are reaching back to feel the coil location to place the cap, any chance of electricity?

Last edited by jamieb; 09-14-2015 at 11:30 AM.
Old 09-14-2015, 11:53 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 91 Likes on 81 Posts

Don't think there is any chance the car will notice the plug wire is a different one. It's a fair question, but the only thing that might change is the resistance to the current due to the length. But as a full set of wires are different lengths anyway I reckon the car wont have a clue.

As for the chance of getting electrified by the coils. I don't know. I changed my wires and didn't even think about it. I've never read anything about discharging coils before touching them. I've changed wires on stacks of cars and never felt a thing. High voltage is only being generated when the engine is turning. At standstill the coil would have to be storing energy to present a danger. I don't think they work like that. So the most volts you are going to encounter is battery voltage. If your still worried have a feel around back there yourself before getting the kids to do it! I've got fairly big hands and managed the job myself. Ground everything metal yourself. That way its impossible for there to be residual current.

Last edited by cappedup; 09-14-2015 at 11:59 AM.
jamieb (09-14-2015)
Old 09-14-2015, 12:15 PM
Winching

Awesome, thanks! I ask because a guy who wrote up the article on how to replace the wires w/o removing the intake mentioned the chance of shock.

Last edited by jamieb; 09-14-2015 at 12:26 PM.
Old 09-15-2015, 10:29 AM
Winching

I got the old wire pulled, major PITA to get that one aluminum tube out of the way, but got it. My coil pack is loose. I can easily wiggle it and wondering: 1) is this a bad thing? 2) how easy is it to re-tighten it?

I am NOT looking forward to changing the wires. I had to get my wife involved last night with her smaller hands. After, I asked if she liked working on cars. She said yes. I thought to myself, "it's all good, working on cars, until you break plastic tubes and radiator nipples and crap that can ruin your day,while trying to fix one simple thing." :-)

Old 09-15-2015, 10:38 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 178 Likes on 165 Posts

I think you made a good call with the Kingsborne wires, I have been very happy with mine.
I would definitely get that coil bolted down. there are two bolts that hold it on to the manifold, it cannot be good for it to be vibrating and bouncing about. Although, you may have to remove the upper half of the manifold to do this. It will also make replacing the wires a lot simpler, just remember to get a new manifold gasket that goes between the upper and lower halves. Just a thought, if you think the coil is questionable, replace it at the same time, I got one from advance auto for 65.00, and it has worked flawlessly.

jamieb (09-15-2015)
Old 09-15-2015, 10:40 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 178 Likes on 165 Posts
Default wiring diagram

Just in case you need this

Need ONE plug wire for now ASAP-dii-firing-order.jpg

jamieb (09-15-2015)
Old 09-15-2015, 11:21 AM
Winching

Thanks! We just had the head gasket replaced a couple months ago. Sure wish they'd have changed the wires and not just the plugs. Will likely pull the top off. It was the #4 wire this time, which was on the bottom. I think with the top off it will be better, I just hate pulling things off because the risk of breaking something old and brittle goes up.

Old 09-15-2015, 08:04 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

From way back in the day of my dizzy powered 3.9L days I had installed a set of MSD 8.5mm wires that you had to custom fit/match. It came with a very nice spark plug wire crimping tool which I still have to this day and I carry it in my tool box.

I recently bought an 04 D2 from a friend and when I changed the plugs one spark plug wire fell apart exactly like described above. I simply removed the metal tip, made sure the wire was tucked into the metal tip like it was before and I re-crimped it back. I double checked it by pulling on it, and the crimp was holding fine. I slapped some dielectrical grease on the boots and I was good to go since I had that tool. You can repair them as long as the wire/metal end hasn't been arching inside the boot causing damage to the wire/metal end. If it has you'd either have to trim the wire, or get a replacement.

Quick Reply: Need ONE plug wire for now ASAP