Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need ONE plug wire for now ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2015 | 01:18 PM
|
Winching

Thanks for the tip. For me, the wire pretty much pulled apart a couple inches above the metal clamp. It was in bad shape. When I pulled the wire off, there was a rub-through exposing the inner wires. I think these may be original plug wires (163,000 miles). If not original, they have some wear.

My Rover mechanic who replaced the head gasket a couple months ago quoted me $200 to pull the intake off, replace the wires and tighten the loose coil pack. (labor only). I think I'll take him up on it for that price. The plugs are only two months old.

Originally Posted by Best4x4
From way back in the day of my dizzy powered 3.9L days I had installed a set of MSD 8.5mm wires that you had to custom fit/match. It came with a very nice spark plug wire crimping tool which I still have to this day and I carry it in my tool box.

I recently bought an 04 D2 from a friend and when I changed the plugs one spark plug wire fell apart exactly like described above. I simply removed the metal tip, made sure the wire was tucked into the metal tip like it was before and I re-crimped it back. I double checked it by pulling on it, and the crimp was holding fine. I slapped some dielectrical grease on the boots and I was good to go since I had that tool. You can repair them as long as the wire/metal end hasn't been arching inside the boot causing damage to the wire/metal end. If it has you'd either have to trim the wire, or get a replacement.

Last edited by jamieb; 09-16-2015 at 01:22 PM.
Old 09-19-2015 | 05:06 PM
|
Winching

I went ahead and just did it myself. I took off the intake and found a bolt missing that holds the coil unit bracket in place. Got that secured. Replaced the wires and buttoned her back up. Dropped in some 44K fuel treatment in the tank and she seems to run well. 4.5 hours work and about $70 in parts total.