Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need to sell 99 Disco I, but need advice...

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2006, 09:28 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need to sell 99 Disco I, but need advice...

I'm new to this forum, but man, I wish I had thought to seek it out years ago! I appreciate the wealth of knowledge and experience you all have.

Unfortunately I have to sell my Discovery ('99, dual sunroofs, jump seats, Woodcote Green) and need advice on how and where to do it. There are a few annoying things wrong with it and I don't know if I should have them fixed first or sell it "as is." Two of the windows don't work; the rear sunroof has a persistent (yet sporadic) leak, which has made my headliner saggy. I'm told that a speed sensor is failing, which is making my ABS system all weird (sometimes the warning light comes on, sometimes that flutter on the brake pedal...), there is some sort of leak in the power steering fluid reservoir (my mechanic said it wasn't a simple fix...), and yesterday the "check engine" light came on. Yeesh. Other than those things the truck is in pretty darn good shape all around.

My feeling is that none of these things are awful, and a LR lover who is handy could fix most of them, but what do you think? I would appreciate any advice you have...

Old 08-12-2006, 11:50 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts
Default RE: Need to sell 99 Disco I, but need advice...

If someone came to me and asked me if they should buy your truck, I would tell them, NO.
You have way to many things wrong and unless you want to sell it for a couple of grand under wholesale, it won't get sold.
Some of those items you have mentioned are going to cost good money to fix.
What are you planning on selling it for $$$, how many miles on it?
Mike

Old 08-13-2006, 01:24 AM
Overlanding

I haven't really figured out a price. By KBB & Edmunds numbers it is worth about $6K as a trade and $8K selling to a private party. It has around 83,500 miles on it.

Old 08-13-2006, 11:46 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

You are between a rock and a hard spot, you'll have to make this call, either way you are going to loose big time I am afraid.
Mike

Old 08-13-2006, 02:19 PM
Overlanding

Thanks, I appreciate your opinion. I know I can fix the windows myself, the leak & headliner I've already started on, and the other things I'll have my mechanic fix. Its a great truck & i don't want to just give it away...

Old 08-14-2006, 03:07 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The windows probably are going to require regulators (which you can do yourself--but read my comment about the clip removal tool on my site). The ABS sensor may be the problem, however we have seen Disco II's that needed the hub changed out (which includes the sensor) because the bearings were allowing too much movement and generating the fault code that throws the light. Read my section related to steering at www.eurotekapg.com for hints about your p/s leak. If you are lucky, it is only the reservoir hose.

Regards,

Mike McLaughlin
eurotek apg

Old 08-14-2006, 06:31 PM
Overlanding

Thanks, Geoman--I will check out your site. The irony is that I will fix the truck up and want to keep it...