Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some help before cold weather

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 09:00 PM
Mudding
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default Need some help before cold weather

Getting my disco ready for the winter...

1.) my cruise does not work ... replaced the vacuum lines at the tee ... Green light comes on the switch, but no cruise... I inspected that junction looking box under the drivers side headlight, one line looked beat so I replaced that ... still nothing

2.) Will not shift into low ... Shifter goes side to side, but it will not move up or down ... disco is in high range ... How do you get at the linkage? I was thinking of just blasting it with WD-40 and tuggingalittle on the shifter...

3.) Gear oil and motor oil ... for cold weather what should I use for both?

4.) Power steering squeals while cold and leaks... Replaced all the hoses, leak comes from input hose to pump, right at the pump ... won't stop leaking from there, even when full of PS fluid it'll squeal until the truck is warm... pump on the way out or could that small leak be letting air into the system?

Hope everyone has been well!
[/align]

Old 10-01-2007, 09:06 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Need some help before cold weather

on the cruise, check the connection to the brake switch. Bad place for cracks. Also make sure you are going over 27MPH. I felt like a goof testing mine. It worked, I just wasn't going fast enough.

You can feel the linkage from under the truck. In order to get to it fully, you have to remove the shifter boot and drill rivets out...

I run 10W30, but 10W40 should be ok, where are you at? I have 85W140 in my diffs and my transfer case.

Throw some Lucas additive in your PS. Helped mine....

Good Luck!

Old 10-01-2007, 11:20 PM
Mudding
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

There is no way to blast the linkage from under the truck, I though there was some shield or something you could remove... I have a 98 d1 btw... thanks

Old 10-02-2007, 07:36 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

You will have to go thru the console to get to the linkage, but first I would try power scrubbing the t/case to free up the linkage, sometimes this will help.
What ever you do, don't force the shifter, you don't want to bend the linkage. Also make sure the solenoid in the t/case is working, other wise you won't be able to **** the t/case to low.
Drain your power steering, put in Vavolines synthetic p/s fluid and a bottle of Lucas power steering additive, should help with the noise and some of the leak.
Depending on how cold it gets in your area either a 5 or 10W/ 30 is a good way to go. I also run the 85W/140 gear oil, it is heavier the what the factory calls for but gives more protection.