Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some help to fight Safelite!!! Windscreen noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 01:09 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Need some help with windscreen noise, anyone take a look?

I am in a battle with Safelite autoglass. They installed a new aftermarket windshield and it is noisy as hell. The kid who installed it told me I was missing side seals on the outside vertical edges under the black trim pieces. I don't think that is true my original windshield had a gap there, quite a large gap and it was quiet. With this new windshield the gas is smaller and it makes a super loud whistle. Check out the pics and tell me if you think this is normal looking.

Any ideas? I assume they will fix it if they knew what the issue is but at the moment I just get shrugging shoulders.

Last edited by lipadj46; 08-18-2009 at 03:15 PM.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:29 PM
TReK

I just spoke with the installer and he said he installs a lot of LR glass and that there is supposed to be a thin rubber strip connected to the underside if the plastic vertical trim pieces and that is supposed to seal out the air. He said that my side pieces don't have that rubber seal and I need to get the part from LR. Which is fine but can anyone confirm that there is supposed to be a seal in that gap?

Old 08-18-2009, 04:26 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Take your truck to the dealer and get the answer straight from the horses mouth.

Old 08-18-2009, 05:57 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Safelite did my windsheild a while back and did a great job. They provided new top and side seals as part of the job. Hope you get it resolved. I'd offer help but I don't have a DII.

The only thing I can say is it seems fishy they are asking you to pay seperate for those parts. Is your insurance paying for this?

Old 08-18-2009, 06:47 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by Spike555
Take your truck to the dealer and get the answer straight from the horses mouth.
I'm going to do that once I get these brakes and shocks installed. I'm going to go get these 3 amigos cleared and I will ask. Just thought someone would be able to take a look.

Old 08-18-2009, 06:48 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, there are rubber seals that run along the plastic a-pillar cover and fit against the windshield. Yes, if that rubber is missing or does not fit flush against the glass, it will whistle like crazy.

Old 08-18-2009, 07:21 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by lipadj46
I'm going to do that once I get these brakes and shocks installed. I'm going to go get these 3 amigos cleared and I will ask. Just thought someone would be able to take a look.
I understand.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:01 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by gilder
Yes, there are rubber seals that run along the plastic a-pillar cover and fit against the windshield. Yes, if that rubber is missing or does not fit flush against the glass, it will whistle like crazy.
Awesome thanks for the answer, let me tell you this thing whistles like crazy. Not sure why my window did not before.

Old 08-18-2009, 09:52 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Safelite did a great job on my windshield. The fact they installed the wrong windshield was actually my fault because I ordered the wrong one. I ordered the windshield without the tinted band at the top when my original windshield had it.

Old 08-18-2009, 10:07 PM
TReK

I can't even hear myself think the noise is so loud. I'm not sure if the side seals are part of the deal but they did not replace the plastic pins that hold on the plastic trim either, I know those come in the seal kit they order.

Quick Reply: Need some help to fight Safelite!!! Windscreen noise