Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some help identifying this....!

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 03:01 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need some help identifying this....!

I have a 2004 Discovery Series II with approximately 114.5K miles.

On Sunday, as I was pulling out of the garage, I noticed a small spot of fluid on the floor. See attached photo (Fluid). It appears it is an ounce or less of a pink fluid.

I crawed under the vehicle and looked to find the source. See the second photo (Leak). You can see two beads of the pink fluid where the drip came from.

I need some help identifying what this is (what fluid is leaking and from where) and want to understand how to fix it. Hopefully, I'm looking at some new gaskets and not something really ugly.

I've driven the truck once after spotting this issue and only for about 20 miles. After that (on Sunday) it has been back in the garage. The truck ran fine. No indications of any problems (yet...and other than the leak!). The total amount of leaked fluids is small...you can see the photo that I just took. Again, maybe an ounce total.

What am I looking at? Any and all help is appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails Need some help identifying this....!-fluid.jpg   Need some help identifying this....!-leak.jpg  
Old 01-04-2011, 03:03 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like coolant. Perhaps leaking from the back of the cylinder head near the firewall and dripping down the back of the motor to the oil pan?

Old 01-04-2011, 03:28 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanks, Bryan.

But, I agree it "looks" like coolant. But, it doesn't smell like coolant. Also, my coolant measured cold, is dead on. Granted, the amount that has leaked is pretty small and my not be apparent. I used a crayon and made a mark on the coolant container when the truck was cold, so I could track it. This was 4 weeks ago. Why....?

I had a bad water pump about 4 weeks ago. Had it and the coolant replaced. After that, I had the engine and underneath steam cleaned so that I could keep an eye on it.

For the last 3.5 weeks, everything is fine. No leaks. Coolant level good. Now this.

Old 01-04-2011, 03:48 PM
Rock Crawling

Yep, that is a land rover. Looks pretty good to me. I noticed there wasn't much oil on yours. You better get on that.

Old 01-04-2011, 03:49 PM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

You may already know this, but if you got one that was re-manufactured, then you need to keep a very close eye on that water pump. The failure rates on the re-manufactured ones is apparently really high. (Like 50%)

When mine failed, I saw fluid running out the weep hole, down the from of the engine and to the back of the oil pan before it dripped off. Since the truck was new (to me) it took me a while to nail down where it was coming from...

Old 01-04-2011, 04:17 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Just curious, what fails in the re-manufactured ones? bearings? seals? both?

Old 01-04-2011, 04:42 PM
Three Wheeling

Dave:

Not certain if it was new or remanufactured. I will check with the shop/mechanic that I used.

Old 01-04-2011, 04:57 PM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by disc oh no
Just curious, what fails in the re-manufactured ones? bearings? seals? both?
My assumption is bearings...mine had coolant running out of the weep hole less than 30 miles after it was replaced...

Old 01-04-2011, 05:28 PM
Three Wheeling

Okay, I'll venture into the obvious.....When you talk about a weep hole, what exectly are your referring to? When I heard this at first, I thought of the small tube/hose coming off the top of the colant chamber ... which I assume is for overflow. Is that what we are talking about here. Would a misfunctioning water pump cause coolant to spill from there? Sorry in advance if I misunderstood this!

Last edited by Cyberbaker; 01-04-2011 at 05:54 PM.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:10 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Are you sure that's not transmission fluid? Does it feel slippery like trans fluid or more like water/coolant mix?