Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some help please

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2005, 02:16 AM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help please

Hey guys Happy New Year to you all.
If anyone is sober enough after there New Years bash can you please help me with a couple of Disco probs?
Firstly, i have just noticed that whilst driving at 30mph through a long puddle about 10cms deep, as the water was coming up under the vehicle at force my battery light was coming on when in the water but going out at once as i exited it. Any suggestions?

Also, I am really struggeling to get a "Owners manual" for my Disco. Its a 1994 200tdi 3door model. My local dealer said he cant get them anymore from Landrover and ive looked on the web and tried various suppliers but everyone seems to be able to get hold of pretty much any other manual except the one i need.

Lastly, can anyone tell me the overall width of a standard '94 Disco. I have no extras on like side steps or nudge bars that stick out. This question is my most important one,coz im trying to book a ferry ticket & I am embarrased to admit not knowing my own vehicles details.
Your help will be much appreciated. Cheers, Brad.

Old 01-02-2005, 06:58 AM
Rock Crawling
Default RE: Need some help please

Hi Brad, happy new year to you.

Your first problem, well, all that was is your belt slipping on the alternator, due to the water. Mine does the same, and I don't worry about it. You could tighten the belt, but if you over do it, you run the risk of wearing the bearings out quicker on the cooling fan. So, the fact that the light went back out as soon as you came out of the water, it is not a major worry.

With regard to the owners manual, depends what you want, if you want something really detailed, you may be better getting a workshop manual. Try contacting bookspeed@bookspeed.win-uk.net or try here http://www.landroverenthusiast.com/c...4c4+1104681495

Sorry don't know how long your Disco is, but if your talking UK ferries, I think you may be long enough to fit into the more expensive bracket. Also you need to tell them the height or at least that you are driving a disco, as for instance the Hull Ferry, you have to be parked in a certain area in the car deck due to your height

Old 01-02-2005, 03:37 PM
6th Gear
Default RE: Thanks Lightning!!

Hey Lightning, i just got your replies to my questions. I must of missed it earlier.

I wouldnt mind a "workshop manual" as i do basic servicing myself, & wouldnt mind getting a bit more into the spannering side of things.
Having said that i do need a "Owners manual" for what may seem like obvious things to most owners.
The main thing that i am "DESPERATE" for is the width of my '94 Disco Tdi.
I have been attempting to book my ferry tickets for the passed two days but need to know the width. Unfortunately its an "Online" booking service so theres nobody to actualy speak to & ask if they the operators know.
Ive done the larger ferries many times & know there is no big deal but this time im going on a smaller vessel on the Dover-Bolougne crossing & I have to enter the width to process the booking, hence my frustration & another reason im longing for a "Owners manual."
If anyone has the answer you're gonna be mighty popular in our house & put a big smile on me & my girlfriends faces!
[&o]
Cheers all, Brad.

Old 01-03-2005, 07:10 AM
Rock Crawling
Default RE: Thanks Lightning!!

If you have it parked outside, why do you not just measure it?
Park on soft ground, get two bamboo canes or similar, push onto ground at each wing mirror and reverse disco way without knocking them and then measure. You will get a size which is close enough for the ferry.