Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some help with transfer case

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 06:43 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Need some help with transfer case

so today in the midst of a major snow storm I came across a family stuck in a ditch in there car, I asked if they needed help and offered to winch them out. So I satarted winching however my truck started to slide towards there vehicle due to the snow and ice on the road , so like a dumbass I put the truck in reverse and winched while pulling them in reverse. Long story short I got them out of the ditch, however when I went to pull away I put the rover in drive and it barley moved, then reverse and nothing. If I give it gas in drive I get nothing , I can rev the rpms up way high and when they drop down around 2k I catch and the truck moves a little bit. But barley and nothing in reverse. I got it towed back to my house and am wondering if it’s the tranny, the diff, or the transfer case. Just sucks because I’m not familiar diagnosing this kind of issue any help or guidance would be very much appreciated
​​​​​​-2003 d2 140k

Old 03-08-2018, 05:59 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,503 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Don't suppose you put the Disco in low range while you were winching? Highly unlikely it is a transfer case issue, they are dead simple mechanical devices with almost nothing to slip. I would not have thought winching in reverse would have caused that much slippage , but the symptoms you are describing sounds a lot like you burnt the first/reverse clutch in the transmission.

Good news is there are plenty on ebay and the breakers on the forum probably have some good prices on low mileage units as well. The transmissions are pretty bulletproof in these and long wearing so as long you get one with less than 200k you should be fine.

Good luck.

Old 03-08-2018, 06:08 PM
4wd Low

After much reading I’ve come to the same conclusion except I think it’s my torque converter but mind as well do the entire transmission since mine is probably toast after the torque converter probably blew apart. My next question is if I put another 03 transmission in it do I need to have the transmission flashed or should I just match the exact same trans numbers any help would be appreciated, thanks for the advice

Old 03-08-2018, 06:34 PM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts

No flashing, plug and play.

ive got a couple if you need one.

Old 03-08-2018, 08:21 PM
4wd Low

For sure what’s your price? I’m ready to buy one it’s killing me staring at this thing

Old 03-08-2018, 08:47 PM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts

$340 shipped to lower 48. Includes torque converter.

Old 03-08-2018, 10:36 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,589 Likes on 1,305 Posts

Damn that's reasonable

Old 03-09-2018, 05:49 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts

Im fairly confident your TQ Converter clutch is fried. You should be able to confirm slip rate and confirm converter lockup via scan tool data. this will tell you for sure if the TQ Converter / clutch failed. If it did fail make sure you flush the “entire” transmission cooling system (lines, cooler, and internals) before installing new clutches and TQ Converter.

Last edited by coors; 03-09-2018 at 05:53 PM.
Old 03-22-2018, 08:44 PM
4wd Low
Default Got to the bottom of my problem

So after removing transfer case and transmission and torque converter i discovered my flex plate was cracked, by cracked I mean shattered. Ordered new flex plate and torque converter also picked up a 2000 locking transfer case. I have installed everything to spec. I haven’t tried to drive yet as it’s late here but here are some photos

Old 03-22-2018, 08:58 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 184 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by abran
$340 shipped to lower 48. Includes torque converter.
Dang, I should buy a transmission just because...

I don't know much about the transmission, but being in the middle of a transfer case rebuild myself... I'd have guessed you broke the center diff cross pin.

Hope she drives well!

Quick Reply: Need some help with transfer case