Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some quick advice ..... Rear Air Spring

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 04:12 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some quick advice ..... Rear Air Spring

Hey all,
I made a post about two weeks ago saying that my rear drivers side was beggining to sag when the truck was left overnight. Anyway, I got some free time this afternoon and did some investigating. I sprayed soap on the spring and found that the leak is occuring at the top, right where the air hose connects into the housing. Therefore I am lookign for some advice as to whether or not I should try to simply tighten the air hose down. Im not sure it there is some sort of sealant on the hose or if it is a different type of locking mechanism other than it "screwing on". I dont want to exacerbate the problem. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.

Also does anyone know of a spring leaking from the top and it not being just a loose hose? Can the connector for the air hose be leaking itself. Thanks again

Here is a pic:

[IMG]local://upfiles/7747/F1AAF51B99C64CE2AE88CF878DA77E79.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-30-2008, 04:38 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: Need some quick advice ..... Rear Air Spring

I am 98% sure that it is a snap clip that hold that air line on and that you can remove it, cut off the bad end of hose and then reattach the hose.
Lets get that confermed with somebody else first though.
If you mess with it and it is a snap clip then it is your call.

Old 09-30-2008, 04:51 PM
Mudding

Ok spike I guess we will wait for some other feedback. Thank you for the help though. Here is another pic of what is going on (I put a red arrow showing directly where the bubbles are originating). As you can see the air is leaking right out from where the hose hooks into the spring. Hopefully I can just tighten it and be done with it but lets hear some other opinions.

[IMG]local://upfiles/7747/56DBA4B541AB4B2CA952D1B6175E067E.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-30-2008, 05:07 PM
Team Owner

I think that you are ok to just tighten it a turn or two, but lets wait and see what others say.

Old 09-30-2008, 06:55 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The air line is just screwed onto the top of the bag. Nothing fancy. On an air system, it can leak from the compressor, the lines or the air bag itself.

Maybe you could try unsrewing the line from the bag,apply some plumbing silicone tape on the treadsand reinstall. You got nothing to loose except air right !!!

With this said, unless you're a guy with the extra time and interest to dive under the truck and find leaks from that system. Day or night, summer or winter, at home or hours away......Do yourself a favor and convert to coils. Those discos have enough things to worry about,and maintaining a known problematic area was not my way to keepme Roverhappy.

With this said.....to eachhis own.

Old 09-30-2008, 08:06 PM
Mudding

Hey Darover thanks for the help. I would like to try the teflon tape idea but first do you know how to take the pressure out of the spring before unscrewing the hose? I may be wrong, but it seems to me that it would be pretty violent if you unscrewed it while the spring had air in it.

As for your other suggestion, I was planning on converting to regular springs when something major goes wrong with the air system. Hopefully though, just for now, I can fix this little hiccup with a couple turns of a wrench. Besides this is the first thing to go wrong with my truck in a couple of weeks.......... I was beggining to think I was cursed . Good Roving

Old 10-01-2008, 07:46 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never tried removing the lines while there's air in the bags, but since its leaking, let it leak a bit, and then take the weight of the vehicle off of the bags by jacking up by the frame before unscrewing the bolt. I doubt anything violent will happen if the weight is off.

Or, if you have the remote to operate the SLS, you can drop the rear then jack up the frame and remove the line.

PS, If I recall correctly (going on 2 years since I did the conversion) there's a little rubber washer around the 'bolt' which is there to prevent air leaks. Check its condition. If its cracked or dirty, just going to a harware store and getting a same size rubber washer would most likely slove the leak.

Old 10-01-2008, 08:48 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

One thing you need to realize, at 130,000 miles, your bags are shot and will need replacement sooner then later. Why not just fix it right, order a replacement set from Arnott and be done with it.

Old 10-01-2008, 01:04 PM
Mudding

Hey Mike I was thinking about replacing both the bags with arnott ones once i get some spare cash (I also need new O2 sensors!!!). My ex-girlfriend always said that I have champagne taste and beer bottle pockets .......... I guess my landrover is no exception .

Old 10-01-2008, 05:13 PM
Team Owner

The beer budget would be a air to coil conversion. $270.
http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/9268D2ABP.cfm

Quick Reply: Need some quick advice ..... Rear Air Spring