Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some serious Direction. Im a new member as well!

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2023, 02:36 PM
Drifting
Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation Need some serious Direction. Im a new member as well!

Hey crew.

I used to have buddy who had a D2. What a beauty it was. I fell in love with it even though it leaked from every tiny gap it could into his driveway. I recently found a killer deal on one with a blown motor. Or so I thought.

I picked up an 04 D2 S with 140k miles on it. When I went to look at it, I thought all was good. Went to put the key in the ignition to turn it on ( Not the engine just electronics ) so I could put it in neutral and push her onto my flatbed. Had to take transmission cover off and push it into neutral on my own because the ignition was stolen out of it when I had gone to do that.

I return home with her, push her off the flatbed and into my garage. I run out at around midnight to get the title and the owners manual out of it and grab the key off the hood.

The next day I decided even though I knew it had a blown motor, id at least get an ignition for it and went out to my garage to see what all had been taken from the ignition. Lo and behold, all the doors have locked themselves and I cannot get into it whatsoever. I've popped the hood, smacked the inertia switch ( which broke ) and done everything else I can right now to get into this thing. I got a new key made, and took the programmed fob out of it and out it into the new one.

The door locks seem like they are moving but are absolutely not. They are actuating and making noise, but nothing is happening. Before anyone makes the joke, yes I have tried the door lock mechanism in the drivers door. It is either broke, or something else is wrong with it.

So far as i can tell, the vehicle has completely sealed itself off from the outside world, ready to rot and to live out its days in peace in a field somewhere. But I cant let it. The mechanic whos shop it was at said he doesnt think it actually has a blown motor but it has a god awful grinding noise, but that he knows the oil pump failed, but less than 1k miles after a full engine out rebuild.

So first question:

How in the F do I get in this car? If I break the window, and wire up a new ignition, if the engine was actually working hypothetically, would it start without issues?

Second:

Can I rip out the immobilizer and keep this from happening?

Third:

I've heard of super lock / EKA mode and the dealers have told me on a "classic" they don't have them anymore even thought they are vin specific. Land Rover North America wouldn't help me either, so what do I try next?

I would appreciate any help I can get here.

I've tried everything I can so far, including an air bag or "slim Jim" into the window, but it just wont get in far enough to open it. Most of the electronics are ripped out of the dash anyways so even if i could get something inside to hit the unlock, not sure it even works as its hanging by wires.

If someone could help me get into this thing without breaking out the window, Id appreciate it. Time is more valuable to me than money. I don't mind replacing a window, but I don't want to waste the 45 min it will take as I hate inner doors and windows with a passion, but it may be my only way in and I've come to terms with that.

Any help is appreciated. When I can get all this figured out, I plan to build a damn near showroom quality off road / overlanding

Damn thing is already a Pain in my *** and I'm not even inside the vehicle yet.
rig and start travelling with the Ms.

Any help is greatly appreciated and I'm excited to be a part of this community.

Last edited by MasonJ; 11-26-2023 at 03:19 PM.
Old 11-26-2023, 04:10 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 882 Likes on 639 Posts

First question - Where are you?

This has nothing to do with superlock. That's irrelevant.

What happens when you put the key in the door lock and try to turn it? Does it spin 360°, or does it not turn at all?

Old 11-26-2023, 04:30 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,224 Likes on 658 Posts

YEP

#1 - what @mln01 said and report back. If it just spins that's a broken rod inside door. If you have this *and* a non functioning remote, that's possibly window breaking territory.

#2 - But also - to confirm. When you press unlock button on working remote (?) you can hear mechanisms clunking (locking or unlocking sounding, but it's not actually happening) in all 5 doors?

Old 11-26-2023, 06:06 PM
Received 394 Likes on 306 Posts

Bro. It’s already telling you to stay away. You are entering or trying to enter ( haha had to ) a world of hurt

Old 11-26-2023, 07:00 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by mln01
First question - Where are you?

This has nothing to do with superlock. That's irrelevant.

What happens when you put the key in the door lock and try to turn it? Does it spin 360°, or does it not turn at all?
it turns left 90° and right 90°. That’s about it. I’m in Tennessee. Around Knoxville.

Old 11-26-2023, 07:00 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by redwhitekat
Bro. It’s already telling you to stay away. You are entering or trying to enter ( haha had to ) a world of hurt
Trust me, I know 😂😩

Old 11-26-2023, 07:02 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by nashvegas
YEP

#1 - what @mln01 said and report back. If it just spins that's a broken rod inside door. If you have this *and* a non functioning remote, that's possibly window breaking territory.

#2 - But also - to confirm. When you press unlock button on working remote (?) you can hear mechanisms clunking (locking or unlocking sounding, but it's not actually happening) in all 5 doors?
Turns both left and right 90°. But doesn’t feel like it’s connected to anything. I can hear, and feel things moving in the doors. Yes all 5, but nothing is happening. Worked fine when I pushed it off the flatbed.

Old 11-26-2023, 07:06 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,055 Posts

Originally Posted by MasonJ
it turns left 90° and right 90°. That’s about it. I’m in Tennessee. Around Knoxville.
So it does not unlock, just turns left or right. No click, no resistance? obviously does not unlock the door? If you can get the airbag in the window frame, try a long rod on the unlock switch on the dash. Or slip a looped coathanger over the inside door pull and see if you can pull it open. If you can't just smash a rear quarter window. They are not that expensive to replace.

Old 11-26-2023, 07:49 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Extinct
So it does not unlock, just turns left or right. No click, no resistance? obviously does not unlock the door? If you can get the airbag in the window frame, try a long rod on the unlock switch on the dash. Or slip a looped coathanger over the inside door pull and see if you can pull it open. If you can't just smash a rear quarter window. They are not that expensive to replace.
i can’t get any air bags or slim Jim’s in the window frames. Too tight :/

Old 11-27-2023, 09:51 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 131 Likes on 91 Posts

You can jam a rod, coat hanger in the window frame, it will tear up the door seal, but that may be the cost of doing business.
Windows are easy to replace, cheap too. Dont feel bad if you go that route, you probably have a failed regulator anyway that will need replacing too.

Love the color.

Quick Reply: Need some serious Direction. Im a new member as well!