Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Never ending...

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 06:45 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Never ending...

...tire quest.
While on this never ending tire quest I have been stopping into tire shops all over my route and my side of town.
I go in and ask/inquire about a specific brand or type of tire, looking for a aggressive A/T.
"Are they for a Jeep? A Wrangler or old Cherokee?"
"No, they are for a Land Rover"
"oh, well you dont want those, they are very aggressive and will be noisy and ride rough, you want these..."
And they are always a Ultra Luxury SUV tire no where near a off road tire.
"These will be nice and quite and handle well, you dont off road at all do you"

Thats usually when I walk out as all they want to to do is sell me a $200 tire because I drive a Land Rover and I must be made of money.
If I say that I do off road they dont believe me.
"You dont take that thing off road, those things are expensive, I have a old Chevy 4x4 that I use for plowing snow and deer camp, no way I'd take my Land Rover off road if I had one, but there is no way in hell that I can afford that...I always thought that you FedEx guys made lots of money."

Just makes me mad.

Old 03-18-2009, 06:51 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aint that a biatch!!

Old 03-18-2009, 06:54 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So really you haven't found a tire you are happy with yet? I swear you chiming in on this topic a year ago when i was trying to tackle it as well!!!!

Old 03-18-2009, 07:10 PM
Team Owner

I have found the tire that I want, but they will be $600 for a set of four and right now I only have $360 saved, so if I can find a cheaper tire that I like...
But then I think, man, this is a big decision as I have to live with these tires for the next 50,000 miles.
There are the tires that I want, the Cooper Discoverer S/T, there are the tires that are recommended by others on this site, the General Grabber A/T2.
Then there are the tires that I could buy sooner than the other two, the Hankook DynaPro ATM RF10.
The Cooper is $600.
Grabber $588.
Hankook $536.

Whenever I make a big decision I always move glacier slow, took me 9 months to find the right Rover for me, but I have never once regretted it.
This wont take that long, but still wont be make lightly.

Old 03-18-2009, 07:52 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what do ya hear about the Cooper Discoverer ATR? thats what I have.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:21 PM
Team Owner

I was looking at those, $530, then there is a $50 rebate and a tire shop is doubling the Cooper rebate, so $430 for a set.
Not as aggressive as I would like, but I have been considering them because of the rebate.
How do you like them? Do you off road at all? How do they do in deep snow?

Old 03-18-2009, 08:35 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you have a Costco membership? They've got pretty good prices on the BF Goodrich tires and they're running a $70 rebate on a set of 4. I've read pretty good things about these.

http://tires.costco.com/TSSapp/TireI...ml?pn=MudTires

Old 03-18-2009, 08:41 PM
Team Owner

No I do not have a Costco membership, and I HATE the BFG A/T KO, I have them on my work van and I HATE them worst tire in the world.
I was stuck more this last winter then I care to remember.
When I had the Discoverer S/T I almost never got stuck, it would have to be pure ice before I would get stuck, then I would just spin the tires until they got hot and melted down to dry ground and then walk right out.

Old 03-18-2009, 09:19 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I put 50K on my cooper ATR's and they still have decent tread.Probably another 10K. I got a deal on some Firestones with wheels and I have those on. When it comes time to buy to fit the lift, I will be getting Coopers again. They were Load Range C and rode great. Good snow and ice traction. Made it through one of our worst ice storms just fine

Old 03-18-2009, 10:27 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Starting calling around today about the Green Diamond Icelander M/T. I really want the Icelander C/T but not available yet. So I call and ask if the tires are available and what a set of 5 is going to cost me. I get told they sell for $239 each but if I buy all 5 they can cut it down to $199 each. OUCH! With mounting and balancing I'm looking at $1200 for a set of tires. I like the tires and it's going to be a while before I buy any tires but it will be a really long while before I can get those. Going to call a few more shops in town to try and find a better price.

Quick Reply: Never ending...