Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Alternator Problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 09:57 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default New Alternator Problems

Yesterday I installed a new/reman alternator I bought from oreillys. A little while later I found my battery was dead so I bought a new battery and had them test my alternator at oreillys, and it failed. They got in 3 more today and everyone of them failed when tested. They all maxed out at 11.5 volts.

My question is has anyone else had this hard of a time getting a replacement alternator?

They are supposed to be getting in a 150amp alternator tomorrow they said is supposed to fit. I'm guessing this is the range rover alternator from what I've read??

There is no one around here that rebuilds Boschs or I'd just go that route. I am also off at college and don't have all my tools to attempt the rebuild myself. Sorry to ramble on just a little upset with the situation.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:02 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Yes, I have had this problem with alts from AutoZone as well as Advance Auto, I settled on a used one from e-bay, that lasted 2 years which is twice as long as all four of the rebuilts combined.
When that one's bearings started going I bought a brand new Range Rover Classic one off of e-bay, 120a compared to the DI's 100amp, it was $150 shipped, still working great, not a year old yet though.
Advance Auto sells brand new Bosch alts for around $200.
All of the parts stores use the same rebuilder for the import alts, the only thing they do is replace the bad parts, clean it and send it back out.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:15 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I got my brand new Bosch from California Alternator and Starter on Ebay 2 yrs ago, and it has worked well.

Last edited by Rover_Hokie; 03-27-2013 at 11:02 PM.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:24 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

rock auto sells a brand new, not rebuilt, bosch for this application.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:27 PM
Winching

I considered looking somewhere like eBay, but I don't really have time to wait on shipping. I do have to hand it to the manager at oreillys here in Russellville, he has really put forth the effort to right this. He has let me swap out battery's twice so far while I'm waiting so I'm not stuck stranded with a dead battery. We also pulled apart one of the "new" alternators in the store and the insides were caked with dirt and gunk. I'm starting to think remanufactured in Mexico really just means fresh coat of paint.

A tip for anyone replacing their alternator: make them test it in the store before you put out the effort to install it.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:29 PM
Winching

I'm gonna give it one more shot tomorrow and if I'm let down again then ill be given rock auto a try.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:32 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Madlands
I'm gonna give it one more shot tomorrow and if I'm let down again then ill be given rock auto a try.
The part number is AL0807N, if you need to go that route. For some reason it shows 2001-2002, but I have it on good authority that anything 1999-2004 will work, whether bosch or valeo branded.

Actually...I just noticed it's even cheaper at amazon, and it's prime, if you or someone you know has prime.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:40 PM
Winching

Thanks jafir! My dad actually has prime, I'm just kicking myself for not checking amazon first now.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:42 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Madlands
Thanks jafir! My dad actually has prime, I'm just kicking myself for not checking amazon first now.
I will say I've not used this alternator before... but since it's new, and the same brand as what came on the truck, I'm assuming it's better than a rebuilt.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:50 PM
Winching

You would think it being new there shouldn't be any issues, but with my luck so far I'd get the only bad one. If things don't work out tomorrow at oreillys then I will be able to tell if the amazon one works or not sometime next week.

Quick Reply: New Alternator Problems