Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New D1 owner :)

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 11:21 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New D1 owner :)

Hi Folks!

I've been posting some shopper questions, and as of yesterday and in for the long term, I'm a first time Land Rover owner! Been researching this for a long time, so I hope I made the right selection Thanks to DiscoMike and others for their input.

Bought a '97 SD D1, auto, leather, jump seats/rear step. Everything actually seems to work and no service engine lights so far!!! The transfer gearbox is *really* stiff, but that might just be my lacking the proper British touch. The exterior and interior are in decent shape, but could use R&R with a good detailer. No sunroofs to mess with, has a replacement front bumper with fogs, but no fog button on the dash My plan is to sort out the basics/reliability over the next 3 months so that it's ready for some light CO trail rides this summer, and then start doing some offroad mods for 2008 budget allowing. I also picked up an extra set of Disco 16" wheels to mount studded winters on next season.

My "funny" newbie owner story: We were at the bank finalizing the sales transaction, walked out (my cash now in the seller's pocket) to drive the seller home, put the key in the ignition... and it wouldn't turn. We literally spent 15+ minutes fidgeting, calling people we knew (including two LR service depts), and were about to call for a tow truck when all of a sudden the key turned. The seller swears this has never happened to them before, and I believed him from the look in his eyes. I vaguely recall seeing something about this somewhere in my researching and will google for it later.

Anyhow, that was a reality check -- I did just buy a used British car and not a Honda Accord Luckily the key has turned just fine since then -- maybe I just jammed it in my new owner excitement. My last SUV was a big ole' Bronco so I'm not used to "proper use of force" -- and it's ignition switch was going when I sold it.

My first round of newbie owner questions:

1. First orders of service biz will be: stop by LR dealer and ask for service history printout; make sure any recalls have been addressed; four wheel alignment and replace all fluids. Next item when I save up some cash are new shocks and springs, but I'll research those more as to which I should buy. Assuming nothing breaks or starts leaking in the next month -- what else should I do or have checked out? I'd rather not take it for a used car inspection quite yet and be told how much $$$ I actually need to put into it I'll only be driving it around Boulder and to work which is a mile from my house.

2. My used SD didn't include the three removable cross rails mentioned in the owners manual. Does anyone even use these?

3. Is the "loadspace cover" for the "boot" useful? Mine didn't come with one, and I don't recall seeing where it would mount in my SD, so maybe I'd need mounting hardware too? I use them in our wagon and in my former Bronco when driving around with computers and parts for my job. Theoretically also a little safer for the passengers if you have small stuff in the back.

4. What fuel/oil additives are recommended for a 10 year old Disco where everything seems to be working OK and no major leaks? I'll read up on the Seafoam that seems to be discussed a lot. Anything else -- I dump BG44K once a year in my other cars and it seems to help.

5. Any good mail order or web sites to buy stuff like the above used/cheap? Craigslist or eBay?

Some questions for those of you in the Denver area:

1. Where's the best place near Boulder to take it for an alignment -- it needs one!

2. Are there any salvage yards near Denver that carry lots of late model LR parts?

3. Who is an affordable LR mechanic in the area to have change all of the fluids? Otherwise, I'll give it a shot but I'm crazy busy at work right now!

4. When's the next Solihull Society or GDI LR meetup? I tried registering on their website and have never gotten approved. Emailed the web admin, but still no response/approval. Do I need to pay for a membership first?

Old 03-03-2007, 11:28 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts
Default RE: New D1 owner :)

Call me and we can talk.
Mike
303-862-7680

Old 03-12-2007, 12:06 AM
Three Wheeling

have had my 95 disco for over a year, have found www.atlanticbritish.com to be very helpful, i use a guy there named dave ext 233 tell him bill in cincinnati sent you . order a haynes manual immediately! these are great trucks if you dont mind some high maintenece, if you can turn a wrench and dont mind being regimented in your vehicle maintenance they are the best at what they do. good luck!

Old 03-12-2007, 07:24 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree about Atlantic British, and I've also found some great deals on new and gently used stuff at http://www.coventrywest.com/LandRover/index.htm (It's best tojust call them and tell them what you're looking for because most of their inventory is not on theweb site).

Good luck with yourRover!

Old 03-12-2007, 08:22 PM
Rock Crawling

theres a rover shop in boulder on arapahoe and 17th. ive never been but they can probably do an alignment. theres a good shop called JCs rover & 4x4 (www.jcrover4x4.com) if you wanna drive down a little bit. i have a boot cover in my disco and find it quite useful. it hides all the goodies in my trunk! as for additives, i too find that bg44 works best.