General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New to Forum/ New Owner Disc0 99

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 12:36 AM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Forum/ New Owner Disc0 99

I have previously owned a CJ7 Jeep and a Toyota 4Runner, My question on this 99 Disco is with the suspension. I have noticed that I have to drive through dips at intersections at a very low speed due to the very rough thud through the dip. My experience with this with both of my previous 4X4 vehicles was a need for new shocks but I am not sure if this is just how the disco's are. It has 86,000 miles and has not been off road harldly at all. Also, the suspension is very soft, for example I can put my foot on the front or rear bumper and easily push it down a good 5 to 6 inchs and when I corner while driving it seams to bounce from side to side quite a bit. New to land Rover ownership and just am not sure about how the vehicle acts, or if I just need some new shocks.

Old 02-13-2006, 11:36 PM
Winching
Default RE: New to Forum/ New Owner Disc0 99

Welcome CT !
Hmm... It's hard to say, very opinionated. Your Rover is much heavier than previous vehicles. The shocks typically last a long time but, from your description it sounds like new ones are in order. OEM's are oil only and suck. Look for a decent aftermarket gas shock for less $.

Old 02-18-2006, 12:32 AM
4th Gear
Default RE: New to Forum/ New Owner Disc0 99

Yeah, from my experience with my old CJ7 and my 4Runner the feel and sound are most definitely the shocks. I found a set of Bilsteins for about 389.00 from Landroverparts.com and I think I am just going to go ahead and go with those. If you have any experience with the shock replacement I am curious how long it will take to switch them out. I installed a Rancho 2" Lift, new springs and all on my old jeep "by myself" and that really turned into a deal over a weekend. I just want to make sure it is easy as it seems it should be.

Thanks for the advice on the shocks, At this time I am just loving the Disco and can't wait to get it off road.