Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New D2. First lengthy inspection after buying sight unseen

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2020, 12:33 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default New D2. First lengthy inspection after buying sight unseen

Bought this D2 online through an auction with only an auction condition report. It's an '04 with 200k. When it came off the truck it sounded like a diesel because it had so much top end noise. Almost sounded like it had no oil. Checked the oil it was full but dirty so I drove it around the block. All the lights were on. Oil, Check engine, 3 amigos, and both the M and S trans lights. It would not shift without lifting off the gas and the trans felt like it was slipping going uphill. The diff also did not want to unlock. I shut it off and left it (this was friday evening). Today I brought back a scanner and some tools to do a more thorough and patient inspection.

The battery is 100% dead but runs after a jump. I let it warm up fully before driving it this time but for starters all the top end noise is gone. I have no explanation for how much more quiet it is except I know it had been sitting at an auction since December. Mabee the oil was so sludgy and since it got transported on a car carrier at an angle mabee the oil was in all the wrong places. The oil light is not on and it really sounded tons better today. There is a little noise that sounds to me like timing chain noise. I plan to flush the oil and then change with rotella. I will also put it on a lift to verify if the noise is coming from the chain cover. Looks like the chain job is only about 4.5 hours so if thats the only internal issue I will be thrilled.

Also the test drive today was much better. Scanned the check engine light and it had a low voltage code and a PRNDL code. Cleared all the codes in the system and drove it again. All the lights were off and This time it shifted correctly. Are these things finicky when the voltage is low? The battery is very dead. 3 amigos came back on but no oil light came back on and the check engine light did not come back yet.

The bad: the radio is inop, possible timing chain tick, both sunroofs taped closed and there is clear coat peeling on the roof, one taillight is cracked, 3 amigos.

The good. The interior and body are in great shape, especially the seats. the 4WD worked in hi and low and locked and unlocked, trans seems good now. It has springs in the back. Would an SE7 have come with air suspension in the back? Dosen't seem too rusty.

Here are the photos:

Last edited by ttownthomas; 04-12-2020 at 02:54 PM. Reason: removed duplicate photos
The following users liked this post:
No Doubt (04-12-2020)
Old 04-12-2020, 01:54 PM
TReK
Received 504 Likes on 419 Posts

Well done! Yes the system is very sensitive to low voltage situations. It will put the vehicle in "limp" mode which is just 3rd gear and only 3rd gear. The flashing M + S lights indicate limp mode. New battery will fix this.

The radio will go silent after a long period with no power.... There is a radio code that needs to be entered... I believe it should be written somewhere in the glove box, sometimes on the top of the radio chassis itself. Search for more info on that.

If you are hearing a tic in the front cover it would more likely be the oil pump gears than the chain but if you get in there, replace both. First make sure it isn't just from sludge buildup, like you said about how it sounded right off the transport... probably was clogged up at first. A good cleaning and fresh oil might help a lot. On that note, since Rotella is cheap, after you change it out, check how it looks in a few hundred miles, you might want/need to change it again after it washes out some crud.

Old 04-12-2020, 01:56 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

Get a new battery, and clean the terminals very well. That will fix the M&S flashing more than likely and it will help knowing you have a good battery when troubleshooting.

Old 04-12-2020, 02:15 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 440 Likes on 300 Posts

great find! a bit o $$$ and time and you have a great disco!

And that is just about 'no' rust for a disco....

Old 04-12-2020, 02:50 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Dave03S
Well done! Yes the system is very sensitive to low voltage situations. It will put the vehicle in "limp" mode which is just 3rd gear and only 3rd gear. The flashing M + S lights indicate limp mode. New battery will fix this.

The radio will go silent after a long period with no power.... There is a radio code that needs to be entered... I believe it should be written somewhere in the glove box, sometimes on the top of the radio chassis itself. Search for more info on that.

If you are hearing a tic in the front cover it would more likely be the oil pump gears than the chain but if you get in there, replace both. First make sure it isn't just from sludge buildup, like you said about how it sounded right off the transport... probably was clogged up at first. A good cleaning and fresh oil might help a lot. On that note, since Rotella is cheap, after you change it out, check how it looks in a few hundred miles, you might want/need to change it again after it washes out some crud.
Thanks for the tips

Old 04-12-2020, 03:00 PM
Three Wheeling

Also i forgot to ask. I'm going to put it on a lift on monday. What is the proper place(s) to lift it from?

Old 04-12-2020, 03:07 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 216 Likes on 143 Posts

Download the RAVE manual from the internet. It will have lots of good information including the proper lift points on the chassis.

Old 04-12-2020, 03:13 PM
Three Wheeling

Found it. Thank you

Old 04-12-2020, 03:20 PM
Three Wheeling

so RAVE says" "Hydraulic ramps

Use only a 'drive on' type ramp which supports a vehicle by it's own road wheels. If a 'wheel free' condition is required, use a 'drive on' ramp incorporating a 'wheel free' system that supports under axle casings. Alternatively, place vehicle on a firm, flat floor and support on axle stands. "

This means it should not be lifted by a 2 post lift?

Old 04-12-2020, 03:26 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,178 Likes on 815 Posts

@ttownthomas I would suggest getting a good 10/30 weight oil with higher detergent rating and a very good oil filter and run that for about 100 miles then dump it. When I tore mine down to the head gaskets after running rotella for a couple of years I still had some and varnish build up.

Quick Reply: New D2. First lengthy inspection after buying sight unseen