Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New D2 questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 08:55 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 127 Likes on 89 Posts
Default New D2 questions

I have read the forums quite a bit, but wanted to get additional support on some questions. Thanks for the replies.

The ABS lights are on. It sounds like it is ABS unit, familiar with the same problem in a BMW. It sounds like it could be the valves in the unit, the sensors at the wheels, or the electronics within the unit. Does anyone have advice on how to narrow it down?

Can the seats, be slid back any further? In bmws there is a clip that can be removed to gain a couple inches. Or, could I unbolt the seat and move it back a bit? Drilling new holes?

What about using Evans Waterless coolant to prolong the engine, does anyone have an opinion?

Finally, the 2003 engine with the oil pump issue. I have heard that if it has not failed at 160k miles, then it should be fine. Heads were redone 40k ago.
Thoughts?

Old 06-04-2014, 09:05 PM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts

Not much to add, but supposedly there is a range of VIN numbers that are guaranteed to fail(Oil pump), but as soon as I write this many will say that they are in that range with no problems and their buddy is out of the range with issues.

The supposed range is:

3A771801-3A824570

Although you gave details of your vehicle, it helps to add it into your signature and your location.

Old 06-04-2014, 09:57 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

you need a device to read abs codes......i use an cheap abs amigo.
seats can be move back...simple process, there is a thread on here, if you search.
dunno anything about evans.
at 160 you are prolly fine, but my buddy.........
I'd put a pancake oil pressure set up on and monitor

Old 06-04-2014, 10:03 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by redrover75
I have read the forums quite a bit, but wanted to get additional support on some questions. Thanks for the replies.

The ABS lights are on. It sounds like it is ABS unit, familiar with the same problem in a BMW. It sounds like it could be the valves in the unit, the sensors at the wheels, or the electronics within the unit. Does anyone have advice on how to narrow it down?

Can the seats, be slid back any further? In bmws there is a clip that can be removed to gain a couple inches. Or, could I unbolt the seat and move it back a bit? Drilling new holes?

What about using Evans Waterless coolant to prolong the engine, does anyone have an opinion?

Finally, the 2003 engine with the oil pump issue. I have heard that if it has not failed at 160k miles, then it should be fine. Heads were redone 40k ago.
Thoughts?
for your ABS lights then you need to run the codes. Without the codes then it could be anything from the nut behned the wheel to a wheel falling off due to bad wheel bearing.....

I have moved the seats back further by drilling and re setting the runners

Not heard of this coolant but flushing the dexcol out and fitting a 180 thermostat and then filling with green peak is always advisalbe

If you have 160k on the clock then your oil pump is fine. Mine is also in the "death range" and you know what, I don't give a sh+t. just means I got mine cheaper.... and mine has 120k and I do alot of towing and extreame off roading as well...

Old 06-05-2014, 07:21 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 127 Likes on 89 Posts

Thanks for the input.

So, install a pancake oil pressure and temp gauge, I will have to research that. Seems advisable to do the water temp also.

Install the 180 degree thermostat. I will probably go the evans route, its a bit more expensive but i learned from experience that it takes the pressure and heat off the system, prolonging life of the cooling parts.

Pull the codes and find out. I am not horribly concerned about it, car drives fine. Drove my bmw for literally years with the abs light on.

Ill post more later in the week.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:54 AM
Winching
Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

first, welcome! I've heard about waterless coolant, not that particular brand though. If you do use it, let us know how it goes.

Old 06-05-2014, 09:07 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by redrover75
Thanks for the input.

So, install a pancake oil pressure and temp gauge, I will have to research that. Seems advisable to do the water temp also.

Install the 180 degree thermostat. I will probably go the evans route, its a bit more expensive but i learned from experience that it takes the pressure and heat off the system, prolonging life of the cooling parts.

Pull the codes and find out. I am not horribly concerned about it, car drives fine. Drove my bmw for literally years with the abs light on.

Ill post more later in the week.
glow shift has the sandwich / pancake that works well.
h20 temps can be monitored via scan gauge or ultra gauge, as well.
180 is advised

looking forward to hearing of this evans product

Old 06-05-2014, 09:21 AM
Mudding
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

At that mileage your oil pump will either be broken now or about to be. Put an oil pressure gauge on it immediately and monitor like a hawk. The oil pump outer rotor breaks regardless of the "03 oil pump issue". It's a separate issue that seems to occur on all high mileage Rovers. As soon as you see anything odd going on with the oil pressure, it's time to do the oil pump.

Old 06-05-2014, 09:41 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

I hadn't heard of the Evans coolant before, so I did some googling.

It sounds pretty interesting, but this thread has some info that would make me nervous.

"It's heat capacity and conduction are less than water so you MAY need to increase cooling capacity to stay at optimum temps. Usually this is not an issue and the engine tends to run at a slightly higher temperature but a more even temperature. The cooling system will also be more resilient, impossible to boil-over and very unlikely to overheat."

That statement is worrying because the cooling system on these trucks is not as robust as I'd like. During the Summer in Arkansas, the system can't keep up with the increase in ambient temps and the coolant temp increases 10ish degrees. I've been thinking about switching to a high flow electric fan to fight that creep, and I've heard of people considering a deeper radiator, thought I don't know if anyone has actually done it.

When you ran Evans before, how did it change the running temp of the truck?

Old 06-05-2014, 09:45 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Jay Leno endorses it. I have heard about it. Quite a bit expensive, I thought of using it but as many leaks as these things seem to spring I didn't want to waste the money.

Quick Reply: New D2 questions