Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to the d2club (SLS QnA)

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2020, 06:32 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the d2club (SLS QnA)

Hello all.
ive recently just purchased a 1999 td5 discovery and because im new to the Land Rover I have question that I would like to ask as obvs don't know anything about land rovers. ( so please don't judge me)

is the SLS compressor supposed to run all the time or should it switch off? I do have the tree amigos on the dash board but I know what the problem is to get that sorted.

Old 11-22-2020, 06:42 AM
TReK
Received 769 Likes on 637 Posts

No, it should not run all the time. It will burn out pretty quickly if it does. Likely you have a leak somewhere so it's never registering that it is up to height.
Dozens of threads on this forum about the three amigos, as there are several possible causes. You will need a code reader that can get into the ABS system to be able to diagnose that.

Old 11-22-2020, 07:01 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mollusc
No, it should not run all the time. It will burn out pretty quickly if it does. Likely you have a leak somewhere so it's never registering that it is up to height.
Dozens of threads on this forum about the three amigos, as there are several possible causes. You will need a code reader that can get into the ABS system to be able to diagnose that.
Thankyou for replying,
where would you suggest starting from to find the problem with the SlS. The air bags work fine and can’t find a leak from them. The Landy stays at the same height even if I’ve not moved it for a week. The button on the dash raises and lowers it.
thanks

Old 11-22-2020, 08:48 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,167 Likes on 627 Posts

3 Amigos is unrelated to the SLS (just thought that was worth a clarification). There is no SLS issue that could cause 3 Amigos.

Are you actually sure it's running 100% of the time? If it helps, on my 2000, my compressor doesn't really run that often. So you may have a little leak somewhere, or electrical issue, if yours is constantly running. I agree.

For 3 Amigos... research on here and try the "plan b" or "option B" fix. That gets most of them. And even if you have another issue that the codes would surface, it's worth doing "plan b" anyways because you will have the shuttle valve electrical issue at some point anyways. PDFs are attached that I gathered when I did this on my truck, they should be what you need to figure out what "plan b" is.

If "plan b" doesn't fix it, probably an issue with the wiring harness or wheel sensors for the ABS. A code reader helps figure this out.

Attached Thumbnails New to the d2club (SLS QnA)-groundlocation-3amigos.jpg   New to the d2club (SLS QnA)-svs-option-b.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
tre-amigos-1.pdf (1.91 MB, 35 views)
tre-amigos-2.pdf (1.94 MB, 31 views)
tre-amigos-3.pdf (1.74 MB, 25 views)