Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A new direction for my Disco

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 05:19 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TRIAR, once again, I applaud your enthusiasm, and I'm not trying to s*** on your dreams here, but I'm starting to get the feeling you bought the wrong vehicle in the first place. First you said you need the ACE system, then you say you don't have enough cargo space and want to make it longer? I see exactly what you're trying to do in my head, but the amount of money you'd have to pour into it is staggering. You'd be better off investing in a newer, bigger Rover.

And might I ask... What in the name of all that's holy are you carrying that requires you to have that much more room in the back? If I fold my seats up, I can fit everything I need to go scuba diving, with a friend, in Wyoming for four days. That's a tent, a cooler, bags of clothes, blankets, pillows, a tub of food, a case of water, four boxes of diving equipment, 16 scuba tanks, as well as all the other stuff that normally rides with me like recovery gear, a comprehensive first aid kit, ratchet straps, etc. Granted, I couldn't see out the back window, but it all fit. (Thank God for SLS, by the way)

On the other end of the spectrum, I had a truck that could carry all that and sleep two people. My first ever vehicle was an old Chevy Suburban. And as much as I took it camping and out doing stuff, I never once needed all the space in the back. Unless I was taking five friends on a long camping trip in one vehicle. Which only happened once. So I guess I don't see the need really.

I like being able to get around in traffic and park in small lots. I also like the short wheelbase for offroad reasons, but that doesn't really apply here. I just don't think it's necessary to have a longer Disco. In the two and a half(ish) years I've owned my DII, and I haul a lot of big stuff around, I've never wished it was longer. If I needed more space to store things, I folded the seats up. And now I've got a rack for even bigger/more things.

Old 02-14-2013, 06:31 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The LR3 is 112" wheelbase, correct? (If I am wrong someone correct me). I would get one with 75k for 15g and call it a day.

Old 02-14-2013, 06:52 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by wreckdiver1321
And might I ask... What in the name of all that's holy are you carrying that requires you to have that much more room in the back?
Hmm...18" wheels are smokin', on road only...I'm guessing something like this is in the back.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:57 PM
Mudding

Here is the perfect truck for you - $12650

Old 02-14-2013, 08:08 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by taylor15
Here is the perfect truck for you - $12650

So the other day while working at JiffyLube I encountered the LR3 for the first time..... Ive driven a hand full of new Range Rovers and Ive owned a 98 D1 and now my current D2 but I never had the chance to drive a LR3..... One just so happens to pull up to the garage bay door and I almost **** my paints! Stormed right out there and instantly stirred up a conversation with the proud owner. Should him my Disco and I guess hes owned 2 other Rovers in the past! Anyways I got to drive the truck afew feet and I was very impressed! BUT THE GUY ASKED FOR REGULAR OIL!!!!! I9 ALMOST SMACKED HIM UPSIDE THE HEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

anyways I WANT that LR3 above Mike! Do you have his contact info?

Old 02-14-2013, 08:13 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

You guys all have valid points here. Maybe I really do not need all that extra space. Once apone a time I used to live in my car, did it for like 2 years through winter and summer. It was a good size car (97 Mercury Grand Marquis GS) but it was two wheel drive and it sucked in the winter. Ever since Ive been obsessed with having a large vehicle with PLENTY of cargo space in case ever I had to live in my vehicle again........ I come from humble beginnings and want to always be prepared for the worst. So this time you guys are right and I will scrap that extended disco idea. I will look into the LR3 though I doubt I can get one now unless someone took my baby and some payments - but Id rather have the pleasure of owning to Discos. Ill think about my options. Ive driven a LR3 now so I can confirm that they are indeed bigger than the D2 models. We will see what happens.

Old 02-14-2013, 08:45 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

The LR3 actually calls for plain old 5w-30.
Seriously, 2004 Chevrolet Suburban, $10,000 - Cars.com is what YOU need.
No car is going to last forever, not going to happen no matter what, until you get this through your head you are going to drive yourself nuts, ITS JUST A GODDAMN TRUCK!!!
You can buy another, and another, and another...you were willing to trade yours sight unseen for a different one but now you want yours to last the rest of your life?
Seriously Julian, get with the program, just drive the damn thing or trade it in, you're not happy with it, thats obvious because if you were you would not be willing to talk about trade/buying the next best thing.
Best of luck to you.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:08 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by wreckdiver1321
In the two and a half(ish) years I've owned my big stuff, I've never wished it was longer. And now I've got a rack for even bigger/more things.
Just reading between the lines here, but it sounds like you have this all figured out!

Old 02-14-2013, 09:15 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Yeah why don't you just buy a roof rack for anything big?

Old 02-14-2013, 09:20 PM
Rock Crawling

And while your being proactive, buy a roof rack mounted tent, and a tow hitch mounted toilet seat. I know that sounds like a joke, but seriously, if thats why you want something bigger, you would be set. You could enjoy the benefits of easy living out of your Disco (only if you really half to), and drive a bad *** Disco!

Quick Reply: A new direction for my Disco