Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Disco II Owner

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 06:01 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Disco II Owner

Hey guys, I sold my Disco 1 a while back and finally got myself a newer one, 2004 Discovery SE7. Its at 107,000 miles. I'm noticing when I parked it, it started leaking oil drip by drip. Also when driving, when I press the gas pedal or let off it shifts/jerks with a bump noise. Also giving me a tad smell of coolant after running. (I made sure I bought the car with a Drive train warranty that also covers the axles and have already contacted them) What do you guys think?

In a minor note, is there a way to get the fogging/moisture out of the headlights? The drivers side has a tad bit I'd like to fix.

Thanks

Old 11-07-2012, 06:22 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WolfmanTurner
I'm noticing when I parked it, it started leaking oil drip by drip.
In a minor note, is there a way to get the fogging/moisture out of the headlights?
The valve cover gasket bolts get loose and it will start to leak from there...common problem...power wash the underside of the truck and tighten the bolts on the valve cover gasket (not too much...i believe the torque is only like 10ft-lbs). Also see if there is oil leaking down the oil filter.

The condensation is another common problem with 03-04 headlights. Easiest way to track down the point of water entry is to pull the headlight out and use a compressor to blow air along the seems, cracks, etc you will see the water move inside of the light when you find the leak...i had a small pin hole in mine that was letting water in... use the compressed air or vacuum to try to flush out as much water/moisture as you can.

Old 11-07-2012, 06:32 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome to the D II world! Look into mikes major service and read your warranty real good most of them are worthless and have alot of stipulations.

Check your rocker cover bolts they require a 8mm 12 point 1/4 drive socket to tighten napa can order them for less than $4

Also alot of these trucks have a faint antifreeze smell to them.

Make sure to inspect that front drive shaft to confirm it has at least 4 grease fittings. Thus could be the source of the jerk your speaking of. They are known for failure. Do Mike's service and enjoy your truck

Old 11-07-2012, 07:50 PM
Rock Crawling

That jerk/clunk you hear could be your front driveshaft.

That being said, many people's DIIs do it. It's a rover thing.

Old 11-08-2012, 08:32 PM
Rock Crawling

The front drive shaft is a prominent fail in the d2, if it has no grease nipples then it has never been replaced or has been replaced with a factory shaft. The problem with these trucks is the ac run off drains right onto the universal joint that goes into the transfer case, causing the u joint to brake. If that happens it will destroy your transmission. Get your d2 into get it checked asap. If you start to hear a chirping sound it will fail soon.

Old 11-08-2012, 08:41 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jhill15
The front drive shaft is a prominent fail in the d2, if it has no grease nipples then it has never been replaced or has been replaced with a factory shaft. The problem with these trucks is the ac run off drains right onto the universal joint that goes into the transfer case, causing the u joint to brake. If that happens it will destroy your transmission. Get your d2 into get it checked asap. If you start to hear a chirping sound it will fail soon.

Hmmm i was sure that it was because they were non serviceable universal joints and the grease dried out from the heat and from over time that's what causes them to break. They are a sealed unit and were meant to be changed every 50,000 miles or put in a serviceable replacement. But what the heck do I know.

Old 11-08-2012, 09:12 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

The joints are "non-serviceable" from the factory. Over time the heat from the passenger side catalytic converter bakes the grease right out of the joint causing it to prematurely fail.

Old 11-08-2012, 09:26 PM
Rock Crawling

Also a sure sign that it needs to be replaced is you will feel alot of vibration in the whole vehicle starting at around 30/35 mph.

Old 11-09-2012, 04:43 AM
Rock Crawling

Tgif, lol. This will come in super handy if you dont already have one for your d2. Its a free pdf copy of the service manual, it has been my bible and saved me so much money in doing repairs myself. http://www.landroverresource.com/

Old 11-09-2012, 07:53 AM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey there. I'm working out a lot of the same maintenance issues on a 2001 Discovery I bought last week. Good luck with yours. Maybe we can trade notes now and then.

Quick Reply: New Disco II Owner