Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Disco Owner Play by Play (Norfolk)

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 08:37 AM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up New Disco Owner Play by Play (Norfolk)

I want to say that I've owned my Disco for over a month now, but the truth is, it's been in the shop for just about that much time..

I'm not complaining though. The dealership I bought it from wanted to take responsibility for any lights and issues that came up during the first 30 days - so I let them and MAN did they take their sweet a** time.

So, roughly a month later:
-New O2 sensors.
-New starter.
-Free, thanks!

Just as my 30 day grace period was up, I got an amazing coolant leak that completely shut me down, so it was up to me now to tread efficiently.

I had it towed to the Land Rover dealership which was only 2 miles away from my breakdown point - it got hot (227 deg to be exact - courtesy of my UltraGauge). They isolated the leak to the Throttle Heater Plate. HA!

"Parts and labor for the heater plate is going to be about a $600."

No thanks! I'll do it myself! I had it towed it back home.

Before the tow though, I had a cowl I wanted LR to install anyway installed (didn't want to risk breaking it myself) and I had them inspect the squeaky breaks and drive shaft while they were at it.

Results:
- Cowl installed, looks great! I got it from Tubbs in Cheasapeake, VA for $32 - a VERY professional crew down there. Recommended!
- Breaks are good to great; aftermarket pads and OEM rotors = squeaky. Oh well, for now.
- The Three Amigos happened to be alight when they read the codes and they quoted me $1200 dollars to replace the Servo Valve. HA! I passed on this too - the kit is already sitting on my kitchen counter at home.
- Front drive shaft inspection - SAT!

I know what you're thinking. I still have a 12 month "internal lubricated parts" warranty that covers the drive shaft. ANY (ANY!) sign of wear/vibration/mad-bird chirping between now and next Fall and you bet I'm cashing in. Eitherway, it's coming off next Fall.

Throttle heater plate replacement went well last night and now I'm back in business. I'm going to be replacing the t-stat and servo valve after Thankgiving. (I'll be going to the hobby shop on base this time, hopefully it's warmer/better lit there).

I just wanted to post my story and take in any advice - I did have a "cold morning chirp" noise on my way to work this morning, but I'm going to post about that in detail separately.

Thanks for the read. Till next time.

Last edited by xmarksit; 11-26-2013 at 08:55 AM.