Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Disco owner... Please Help Me!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 02:12 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Disco owner... Please Help Me!!!

Greetings all! Just wanted to pop in for an intro. My name is Ryan and I'm in the Tampa Bay area and a recent purchaser of a beautiful 2004 Disco series II. I bought this recent trade from my work place (MINI of Tampa Bay) against my better judgement, because I've always liked the Disco, and this seemed to be the "right one". She's a 1 owner (now 2) loved for 110,000 miles by her previous caretaker, and "the most papmered Rover on the planet" according to the most brutally honest Land Rover Service manager I know. She has had Mobil 1 her entire life at every 5000 miles, head gasket done at around 60,000 miles, brakes repaced at the first squeek, all recommended induction, coolant, trans, transfer case, and diff fluid services and flushes and BG fluids added where applicable. She has "all the lights", a safari rack, full suspension system replaced with a minor lift and steering stabilizer, brand new oversized Bridgestone Dualer A/T tires, etc.... you get the idea. The interior is the light tan leather piped in black, and asside from minimal discoloration on the 2 tone steering wheel... the interior looks like brand new!

I bought her with intentions of being her caretaker for the next 10 plus years.... hoping she wouldn't be the "stereotypical Rover" but alas... the British Rover Gods have already reared their ugly heads! I have noticed over the last 2-3 months an occasional slight hesitation or miss upon acceleration and occasionally during steady spped driving. Driving to the girlfriends house the other night, I noticed her stumble more than usual (the Rover, not the girlfriend) on acceleration. The next traffic light, i gave her more gas than usual and she rilly started to miss! The next light, i pressed on and she hesitated like crazy and the SES light came on, so I backed off her and she seemed to smooth out. Next traffic light, same test, this time a flashing SES light. I nursed her on with only light acceleration, and brought her home nervously later that night. She seemed fin under light loads, but stumbles under heavier acceleration.

I have ordered and installed the Magnacore 8mm wires since, (I ran out of beer and my arms are still bruised) done another road test, and she still has the stumble. I have picked up fresh Bosch Platinum+4 plugs today and will be installing them this weekend, and saying a prayer that this solves my issues. I have also invested in a code reader and retrieved the codes and they were p0301, p0306, P1300, P0102, and p0300 which were I believe cyl 6 misfire, cyl 1 misfire, catalyst damaging misfire multiple cylinders, mass or volume airflow circuit low input, and oddly... P1668 anti-theft alarm serial link fault drive cycle A: signal out of range.... My keyless entry has worked perfectly until the plug wire install! Agh..... I almost forgot the joys of fixing my own stuff! Any other ideas From the all knowing Rover Experts out there would be greatly appreciated!

Old 01-20-2012, 07:47 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by TampaBayDisco
against my better judgement, because I've always liked the Disco!
I am in the same boat just not as handy as you are and did not think I got a pampered one. Last year I bought a 96 Disco, which was nothing but problems, I just got an 04, which has a new problem every day. The good side is, that I actually still like driving it and I am learning alot about how cars are working.

Old 01-20-2012, 07:53 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like a mass air flow possible issue to me. I don't think it is all plug related. You might not want to throw those in until you at least clean the MAF sensor (CFC cleaner after the truck sits overnight) and you could just dirty them up with the misfires anyway.

Old 01-20-2012, 08:53 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by TampaBayDisco
Greetings all! Just wanted to pop in for an intro. My name is Ryan and I'm in the Tampa Bay area and a recent purchaser of a beautiful 2004 Disco series II. I bought this recent trade from my work place (MINI of Tampa Bay) against my better judgement, because I've always liked the Disco, and this seemed to be the "right one". She's a 1 owner (now 2) loved for 110,000 miles by her previous caretaker, and "the most papmered Rover on the planet" according to the most brutally honest Land Rover Service manager I know. She has had Mobil 1 her entire life at every 5000 miles, head gasket done at around 60,000 miles, brakes repaced at the first squeek, all recommended induction, coolant, trans, transfer case, and diff fluid services and flushes and BG fluids added where applicable. She has "all the lights", a safari rack, full suspension system replaced with a minor lift and steering stabilizer, brand new oversized Bridgestone Dualer A/T tires, etc.... you get the idea. The interior is the light tan leather piped in black, and asside from minimal discoloration on the 2 tone steering wheel... the interior looks like brand new!

I bought her with intentions of being her caretaker for the next 10 plus years.... hoping she wouldn't be the "stereotypical Rover" but alas... the British Rover Gods have already reared their ugly heads! I have noticed over the last 2-3 months an occasional slight hesitation or miss upon acceleration and occasionally during steady spped driving. Driving to the girlfriends house the other night, I noticed her stumble more than usual (the Rover, not the girlfriend) on acceleration. The next traffic light, i gave her more gas than usual and she rilly started to miss! The next light, i pressed on and she hesitated like crazy and the SES light came on, so I backed off her and she seemed to smooth out. Next traffic light, same test, this time a flashing SES light. I nursed her on with only light acceleration, and brought her home nervously later that night. She seemed fin under light loads, but stumbles under heavier acceleration.

I have ordered and installed the Magnacore 8mm wires since, (I ran out of beer and my arms are still bruised) done another road test, and she still has the stumble. I have picked up fresh Bosch Platinum+4 plugs today and will be installing them this weekend, and saying a prayer that this solves my issues. I have also invested in a code reader and retrieved the codes and they were p0301, p0306, P1300, P0102, and p0300 which were I believe cyl 6 misfire, cyl 1 misfire, catalyst damaging misfire multiple cylinders, mass or volume airflow circuit low input, and oddly... P1668 anti-theft alarm serial link fault drive cycle A: signal out of range.... My keyless entry has worked perfectly until the plug wire install! Agh..... I almost forgot the joys of fixing my own stuff! Any other ideas From the all knowing Rover Experts out there would be greatly appreciated!
Send me your number and I'll try and walk you thru this one.

Old 01-20-2012, 11:16 AM
Overlanding

@ Snafu, I was also thinking possibly Mass airflow... I don't think it has ever been replaced or cleaned... at least I don't remember seeing it anywhere in the 50-75 pages of service records I've looked through on it. I was thinking put in the fresh plugs, unplug the mass airflow and take a spin and see how she runs, but cleaning it first seems like the more pro-active approach. I never knew you could clean them... I've always just replaced them. I guess I'm a plug & play kind of guy! haha!

@hhalimi... I used to always do my own work (at least the minor or easy stuff), but I hear the Rovers are pretty friendly to do-it-yourselfers, so I figure I can save some major dough that way! Good luck with yours!

@ Disco Mike... PM is sent! Feel free to give me a shout anytime, and thanks for the help!

Old 01-22-2012, 09:28 PM
Overlanding

So today, I finallY finished up with everything on my truck! New Bosch Platinum +4's are in, new Magnacore wires, took out the MAF sensor and cleaned &re-installed it. Re-set the SES light & cleared the codes, (which ironically made my keyless entry start working again) topped off all the fluids, and took her for a spin. Wow! She runs like new again! I would like to thank Disco Mike for the phone call and the pointers. Ironically the tech who did a majority of the service on this truck came into my workplace Saturday to look at a new MINI, and has offered to do a free inspection anytime on my truck so we can keep her like new. He seems to think the axle has already been replaced, so we will check to be sure on that one.