Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Disco ownwer... Big Plans!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 06:07 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Disco ownwer... Big Plans!

Hey Guys... i also posted this over at LandRoverworld.org... but seems to be a lot more guys here.

I have been a long time senior member of Tacomaworld.com forum until my wife rolled my extensively modified 2007 Tacoma and am now a 2001 disco owner...

I purchased the Disco from a guy that blew the head gasket and had left it in a parking lot for over a month due to not having money to pay to tow it! He was kinda between a rock and a hard place so I purchased it.

Since then I pulled he engine tore it down to block had heads milled and rebuilt it with the British Atlantic parts kit and replaced all babbit bearings, piston rings, and seals. I also got the Magnacor 8.5 mm wires and new plugs. I have decided to do away with the the Dex-cool, And replace with Peak life time global. I just started it up yesterday And sounds great. It's now at the tranny shop getting a fluid change and inspection.

I am planning on doing the OME HD coils and shocks with stabilizer, rebuild the front drive shaft, HID head lights, 265/75/R16 Hankook Dynapro ATM Tires and truck bed lining the whole out side and cargo area straight away. Then will be doing a front bumper with winch but can't decide between the ARB because it is proven or going with another brand that has a better approach angle, what do u think? Also am torn between getting a Gobi Rack/something comparable or finding a rear bumper with hi lift jack and Jerry can mount because the stock spare tire mount will not hold a 265/75/R16

So I guess any advice or personal experiences you could pass my way would be great. I live in Rio Rancho NM. By the way I a 12 year disabled army vet and now have more time than money on my hands but am very mechanically inclined and very good with electrical systems, I am the go to guy for all the Toyota Tacoma owners in my area for just about anything and would like to get that way here also. Thanks for everything in advance.

Scott

Edit:
Pictures of all the work start on page 3...

Last edited by SGT Disco II; 03-18-2014 at 08:55 PM.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:22 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Welcome aboard. Sounds like you've already done quite a bit to her. Good luck with the future stuff.

Old 01-30-2014, 06:29 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

good score
arb proven but yeah the aoa not great. lots of choices on that
rear, you can flip and fondle the mount for a larger spare, bumperwise lots there too. i liike the wrap around protection..like greg davis and others.
on the roof I went cheap and am happy with it. no problems. also I stick my jerrys up there, siphon fill is an ease with that set up.

Old 01-30-2014, 06:51 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

greg davis? is that a brand of bumper or a guy that makes them? a link to a good cost effective bumpers would be great!

Old 01-30-2014, 06:53 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Here's a great recent thread with the best alternative I've seen for a stylish ARB-like design but with better approach angles.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...nd-here-64740/

Old 01-30-2014, 06:53 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Welcome. It sounds like you pretty much already rebuilt the engine. Nice Job! If you were okay putting some money in the engine then I might of suggested putting in Top Hot Liners from Cannibal V8. I'm not sure how much you know about these engines yet but the cylinder sleeves are the weak point. With that said, I have replaced almost everything on my truck but the liners and it is still going strong. I'm sure you will have plenty of good miles ahead of you but if you ever need to replace the engine in the future now you know.

As for all the future things you want to do, I AM EXCITED to see the progress. First thing I would do is get a new drive shaft or rebuild your old one. I would suggest a Tom Woods Drive Shaft if you get a new one.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:31 PM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

first of thank uou for your service.

Second go climb a mountain with that thing

Old 01-30-2014, 08:21 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by SGT Disco II
greg davis? is that a brand of bumper or a guy that makes them? a link to a good cost effective bumpers would be great!
this dude has a thread with one https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...-bumper-57854/

Old 01-30-2014, 08:31 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by SGT Disco II
Greg Davis is the guy who designed/"makes" them. PM me for his contact info. I have one, as well as many people I know. It's the strongest bumper out there and also has the best departure angle.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:34 PM
Super Moderator

yeah, that dude ^^

Quick Reply: New Disco ownwer... Big Plans!