Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to Disco's

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 02:25 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Disco's

So I am going to check out a 2001 Discovery SE7 tomorrow and I have been reading up on the sticky's and How too's a little bit. While I am a bit of a newb the land rovers I have been a professional technician for 14 years so there isn't much I haven't done or have seen. I am looking for a little insight before I check this thing out. I know of three problems this thing has right off the bat: rear air suspension sags, brake pedal is soft and rear tailgate doesn't open from the outside. He's asking $1,000 and it sounds like he's just trying to recover the $1,000 he's recently put into it. It has 110,000 miles ad looks pretty clean otherwise. I know I am supposed to check and see if it has the CDL or not. I also have access to an 04 that needs an engine but I was thinking it would make a great parts car. Any other suggestions?

Cheers!

Old 10-09-2017, 02:42 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 851 Likes on 634 Posts

Check the front and rear diveshafts for play/wear at the Universal joints also the rubber coupling on the rear driveshaft.

The following users liked this post:
Mattska (10-09-2017)
Old 10-09-2017, 02:51 PM
6th Gear

Yeah I will, I saw the write up on the front driveshaft u-joints. I will either replace them with serviceable units or get a reman one from GBR Utah.

Old 10-09-2017, 03:02 PM
TReK
Received 483 Likes on 406 Posts

Start with a budget...then triple it, lol.
Lucky8 has the lowest prices on quality parts too.

Old 10-09-2017, 03:12 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

It's all about research, research and even more research. Take a code reader and check for resident codes on ALL systems. Also checkout the initial dash lights for a full house, if some are missing find out why? The dash lights come on for only a few seconds so you'll need to check a few times. Check the stickies on here and read the RAVE manual as we don't want to hear about your hard luck stories later on. A careful D2 checkout will take you between 1-2 hours done properly so don't rush the day. On a visual, chassis rot is bad news on a D2 but don't buy an offroader as they have been raped to death usually.

Old 10-09-2017, 03:53 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,275 Likes on 896 Posts

What are your intention for the vehicle, daily or weekend/special occasion?

Me, I'd dump the air suspension if you are considering off-roading to any degree.

The brake pedal issue is "most-likely" the master cylinder (both of mine needed one). But you could try bleeding system first, never hurts to soak the bleeders for a few days prior. Master was a few hundred.

Tailgate will probably be fine if you lube the living daylights out of the outside latch (both of mine wouldn't open from the outside originally) and work it back and forth.

As far as "what to look for"...

Ask about previous maintenance done, head gaskets and cooling system related items for sure, check fluid levels, take a healthy road test (if possible, or make sure to bring it to operating temperatures) and as "Offroad France" mentioned...check to make sure all system check lights are coming on when you first turn on the key and check codes.

Just remember, you're buying a 17 year old vehicle, foreign to boot, and things can add up quickly...even if it just needs "catch up maintenance". Being a tech you probably have the inhernet knowledge needed to know about other items to check. And again...ask plenty of questions about known issues or previous repairs...no matter "how nice the owner seems". Made the mistake of thinking the owner of our 03 were "too nice of couple" to be hiding anything...and holey-moley...missed the mark on those two by a galaxy or two.

Good luck, with your pre inspection and hopefully you found a good fixer-upper.

Brian.

Old 10-09-2017, 04:24 PM
Mudding
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

When you're checking out the driveshaft check the transmission and trans pan to see it has already had a driveshaft failure and someone did just JB weld up the cracks.
I meet a "D2 guy" who thought he knew everything about D2's and he just bought a trashed transmission rig.

Old 10-09-2017, 07:22 PM
6th Gear

My intentions are mostly weekend/multi use. I am not in to off road but like the idea. I have two small kids so the size and seating is attractive. I recently got rid of a XC90 Volvo that was a 7 passenger but terrible in the snow. I actually may try attaching a residential plow to it in the future. The true 4x4 is one plus factor living here in the hills here in New England. Thanks for the input.

Old 10-09-2017, 07:22 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,275 Likes on 896 Posts

BackinA88^^^^If your buddy is looking for a trans, tranfer and CDL shifter...I have all three for $1000.00.

Out of an 04, approximately 124K, I used the engine in our 03 and it runs fine. The rest was in working order also, bought entire assembly from 4X4 Trailhead in Ohio.

Will seperate if he doesn't need all three items, but a package deal would be nice.

Brian.

Old 10-09-2017, 09:15 PM
Winching
Received 141 Likes on 108 Posts

Make sure ALL, and I do mean ALL the dash lights come on. The three amigos has been know to lurk: ABS, HDS, TC. People have bought rovers that had the lights taken out or taped over.

Quick Reply: New to Disco's