Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New findings for the "3 Amigos"

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 08:32 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New findings for the "3 Amigos"

The 3 Amigos ride in my Discovery with me on occasion.[8D] Here's the kicker...they only show their ugly face when I engage/disengage my emergency brake![&:] Is that a first for anybody here? If its not, then what are the ideas on what could be the cause?

(2004 Disco SE7 88,000mi.)

Old 12-22-2008, 08:50 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: New findings for the "3 Amigos"

Wow, I have never heard of that happening before, very strange.
I have no idea as to what would cause that are how to fix it.

Old 12-22-2008, 10:31 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Do the rear brake shoes have wear sensors that could trigger the 3 amigos if they are worn out?

Old 12-23-2008, 09:02 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

No, there are no wear sensors.
Are your brakes squeaking? This can be one reason the light comes and goes?

Old 12-23-2008, 04:38 PM
Drifting

No grussell. I see where you might be going with that idea, but apparently the emergency brakes on Discos dont attach to the rear brake calipers like most all other vehicles.

My brakes are not squeaking not even a little.

The amigos appear no more than 2 minutes after starting the engine and driving off about 20% of the time. The other 80% of the time they appear is when I engage/disengage the emergency brake handle and that is every time I put the truck in PARK. I always use my e-brake when i park my truck to keep the weight of the truck from rolling back on my drive-train.
Overall they appear about 1 out of every 2 times I drive the truck.

Old 12-24-2008, 02:11 PM
Drifting

In case anybody out there is interested...I may have figured this one out(by accident of course). I was having trouble with the backlight on my clock that's on the dash next to the power door lock switch. So I pulled it out and yanked the bulb and brought it to the dealer to get a replacement. I replaced the bulb today and drove around all day turning the car on and off and using my e-brake(when in PARK as usual) and guess what? NO AMIGOS! Not once. And yes, at the moment I am indeed knocking on the closest cellulose based organic in my vicinity, because afterall this is the 3 Amigos we are talking about and they ride when ever they feel like it. But who wudda thunk it? The Amigos connections run so deep that they even have thier dirty little hands in the digital clock industry in our Rover world.

Old 12-24-2008, 07:38 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

That has absolutely nothing to do with the ABS lights coming.
Quit using the e-brake. My D2 is 10 years old this May and I haven't used mine more the 3 or 4 times, Don't need them.
If you want to start trouble shoting the problem, I would look for wheel bearing wear in conjunction with a speed sensor. You can also go turn the lights on and get the codes reade at the same time, you will know for sure.

Old 12-25-2008, 09:43 AM
Drifting

Apparently I didn't knock hard enough....they're back! I thought it was strange that after changing the bulb I drove around all day starting and stopping the engine multiple times without the Amigos stopping by. Why would I stop using the e-brake? The manual even suggests that you use the e-brake even with an auto tranny. Ive always used my e-brake on all my vehicles and Ive never had a transmission problem.
Im going to go to the dealer and have them check my lights but they are busy until next Tuesday. [:@]

Old 12-25-2008, 12:19 PM
Mudding

Slightly OT here, when you say e-brake, does that refer to the handbrake?
Which leads me to my question. My handbrake does not work well. Sometimes it locks and sometimes it doesn't. So most of the time I just put my gear to "park". Is this ok? What if I'm on an incline can I just put in on park?
Thanks.

Old 12-25-2008, 09:59 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

The e-brake in the US means emergency brake, but he does mean the parking brake, it is called a parking brake for a reason.
It is a good idea to use it when you park on a incline to keep the weight on the car off of the transmision parking prawl.
Set the brake, then put it in park. Ever notice that when you park on a hill without using the parking brake and when you go to put it in gear it is really hard to shift out of park and the transmision makes a really loud "clunk"? That is your transmision calling you a idiot.
No you dont have to use yoru parking brake, but it is a good idea, I use mine all the time.
And yes, the parking brake is on the back of the transfer case, look under the truck, it is the big drum on the front of the rear driveshaft.

Moral of the story, it is a good idea to use your parking brake, but you dont have too if you dont want to, but it is a good idea.

Just dont do like my wife did and try and drive with the parking brake on, it smells really bad.

Quick Reply: New findings for the "3 Amigos"