Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New fuel pump worked for a night, now it doesn't.

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2023, 11:59 AM
Mudding
Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts
Default New fuel pump worked for a night, now it doesn't.

So I wanted to change out the fuel pump on my 2002 since I've been having a loss of power and lots of misfires that I was thinking might be fuel related. I shoulda just checked fuel pressure, but I had a new fuel pump thats been sitting in my shop for about 2 years and I figured I'd throw it in anyway. Btw it's a cheapo fuel pump, not a Bosch, which I think may be the issue before I say anything else.

So I remove back trim at the door, pull up/kinda tear carpet to get access to panel, which I found completely rusted and I had to drill out 2 or 3 screws to get off, take old pump out, struggle getting new one in until I realized I needed to place the gasket on the tank and not the pump before sliding it into place, and long story short it worked fine.

BUT I heard a hissing noise coming from pump. Figured maybe the gasket wasn't seated right and decided to pull it back out the next day. So yesterday I pull the pump, make sure everythings good, put a little engine assembly lube on pump where gasket goes to help it slide in, reconnect everything and... nothing. Didnt hear pump turn on and it didnt build pressure. I try to pull it back out and couldnt get the bottom back out, but I saw that a hose had popped off on the pump. Reconnect it, throw it back in and still nothing. Repeat process, find hose came off again probably while applying downward pressure to the pump springs to get it seated, still nothing. Hose may have popped off again but at the same time I'm not hearing the pump run at all regardless.

I'm losing my mind trying to figure out why it would work and then stop working. I'm of the opinion that the pump is junk and I'm ready to spend the $200 bucks on a Bosch unit, but figured I'd see if any guys have had the same problem or can help me troubleshoot my way through this.

TLDR: New fuel pump worked one night, then stopped working next day. Driving me crazy

Old 07-23-2023, 10:24 PM
TReK
Received 557 Likes on 483 Posts

If it worked perfectly for a while and then didn’t, a pump certainly sounds suspect, though not a certainty. $200 isn’t a lot of money for a good pump. I installed a Bosch a few years ago with no issues.

Old 07-24-2023, 12:30 PM
Mudding

I did some testing using multimeter and I'm not getting any power to the plug that goes to fuel pump at all. Testing at the relay shows 6v. A good mechanic friend of mine said possibly a bad ground. Are there any grounds at back of vehicle I could have messed up while moving fuel pump harness around in back or should I look elsewhere? I have a bosch pump on the way regardless. But if anyone has a wiring diagram or something that might be helpful.

Old 07-24-2023, 07:15 PM
TReK
Received 557 Likes on 483 Posts

Search for any thread by WaltNYC in this forum. He has a link to most of the LR manuals in his signature.

Old 07-26-2023, 01:38 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Harvlr
Search for any thread by WaltNYC in this forum. He has a link to most of the LR manuals in his signature.
Those diagrams actually helped a good bit. Theres one ground under hood for fuel pump that I need to check.

I also swapped crank position sensor with a new bosch one as well and I know I installed it wrong. Don't know how since I've done it like 3 times by now. I'm gonna space it out correctly and go from there.