Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to the group, be easy with me...

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 12:38 AM
Overlanding
Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New to the group, be easy with me...

We just purchased a 2004 Discovery 2, SE7 model Land Rover...I was doing some reading on it with this site and others. I'm trying to determine if my particular model has the airbag system installed. It does not make any noticeable height changes when we start it or while we drive it. Was this a feature that came with all SE7 models or just randomly? Thanks in advance for any help.

We've also purchased a '05 LR3 SE, so I'm sure that I will be back here for some more questions....

Last edited by scaredasno; 09-15-2012 at 12:41 AM. Reason: Added year of Discovery 2
Old 09-15-2012, 01:20 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could have either system, it was an option. Quickest way to tell is to look under the rear of the truck by the wheels. If you can see coil springs then you don't have SLS (Self Leveling Suspension aka airbags) There are other differences but that's the quickest way to tell

Old 09-15-2012, 04:11 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

You can get full shop and owner manuals at links below for Disco, it is called the RAVE (Rovers A'int Very Economical), and see this one for the LR3, a much more complex vehicle https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr...light=download

Old 09-15-2012, 09:08 AM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

Every 7 seater I've ever seen has air suspension. Even base models with vinyl seats and no sun roofs.

Just look under it in the back to be sure. Even if it came with it, someone may have converted it to coil springs.

Old 09-15-2012, 09:17 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Or just look on the dash at the square bank of push button switches. Do you see one that has an up arrow showing the back of the car? (Not the yellow and red one) No switch, no SLS.

Old 09-15-2012, 09:31 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jafir
Every 7 seater I've ever seen has air suspension. Even base models with vinyl seats and no sun roofs.

Just look under it in the back to be sure. Even if it came with it, someone may have converted it to coil springs.
I had an 04 7 pass that had coils. Pretty sure they were stock, not switch on the dash.

Old 09-15-2012, 09:44 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

SLS along with ACE was an option, not a standard feature.

For the original poster, how mechanical are you, might want to look at my sticky thread at the top of this section on majors service for your truck, and do it your self, with some help from us if uncertain on how, that way you will get to learn what makes your Disco. Make sure that you verify if the front drive shaft has 1 grease fitting on each of the 3 u-joints, if not replace or rebuild it before it fails taking out the tranny with it.

Old 09-15-2012, 10:08 AM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here you can find the best help and some of the smartest techs around. People that care and don't have a clue who you are! You have came to the right place! All you need to do is look on top of the rear axle for air bags or springs that will answer your question. And don't get the disco panic lol but do go threw Mike's major service and get as many tasks performed as possible.

Long live the Rover

Old 09-15-2012, 10:09 AM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
SLS along with ACE was an option, not a standard feature.
Option on 5 seaters. Show me a 7 seater without SLS from the factory with some proof it wasn't converted.

Originally Posted by toad2
I had an 04 7 pass that had coils. Pretty sure they were stock, not switch on the dash.
I took the switch out when I converted my 99 7 seater to coils. There are plenty of indications that the 7 seaters were required by law to have SLS at least in Europe.

Last edited by jafir; 09-15-2012 at 10:12 AM.
Old 09-15-2012, 10:15 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd be more concerned with whether or not, like Mike said, you're front propshaft has been rebuilt.

With that said, look for this button on the dash. If it's missing, you don't have SLS.

But, you never know what they'd done to the vehicle, so the very best way to confirm is to look under the rear, as has been said. If you see this (black bag/balloon-like structure) - then you have SLS...

If, instead, you see springs in that location, then you don't have SLS.

-Anthony

Quick Reply: New to the group, be easy with me...