Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New guy here, looking at buying a '97 Disco, hoping you guys could answer some questions.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 12:18 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy here, looking at buying a '97 Disco, hoping you guys could answer some questions.

Hello,

This is my first post here and I come to you hoping that you guys could answer a few of my questions about a 1997 Discovery I am considering purchasing. When I test drove the LR, it had very little power in 4th gear, and I was wondering if this is typical of this type of Rover or should I be worried about it? Also, how much can I expect to pay for replacement parts compared to other vehicles?

I grabbed a couple of pictures that I will post later, Imageshack isn't wanting to work for me right now.

Old 07-29-2008, 12:25 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: New guy here, looking at buying a '97 Disco, hoping you guys could answer some questions.

Is it a stick or automatic?
They are heavy, with only about 182 hp.
Good chance it may/will need a good tune up.

Old 07-29-2008, 01:59 PM
Mudding
Default RE: New guy here, looking at buying a '97 Disco, hoping you guys could answer some questions.

I have the same issue with my 97Rover. I have an Auto tranny.

Old 07-29-2008, 02:22 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

None of them are race horses, so other then good gas and a better tune up, that is all you are going to get.

Old 07-29-2008, 02:31 PM
Mudding

True.. the sad part is in 4th gear if you are goin 60mph, it takes a good 15seconds to get to 70mph.. It feels like you would get more power if you went out and pushed it lol

Old 07-29-2008, 03:51 PM
3rd Gear

It is a stick, with a 4.0L V8, and about 100,000 miles on the clock.

It looks to be lifted, not sure how much though. Has a safari rack with 4 KC lights up top, Firestone mud terrain tires. And the conter section of the hood is flat black with a Land Rover logo in the middle. Andit has a Camel Trophy sticker on the back, which I thought was cool.

I really wish I could get those pics to work...

Old 07-29-2008, 04:03 PM
3rd Gear
Old 07-30-2008, 07:35 AM
Overlanding
Default RE: New guy here, looking at buying a '

Pics of the truck look cool. I think the price tag on the window may be alittle high - depending on the condition of the truck.
I recently bought a '98 Disco with 140,000 miles on it - knowing I was going to be putting some money in it, but I picked it up for just over $2K.

Old 07-30-2008, 07:38 AM
Overlanding

* check all the electrical devices - turn signals, radios, windows, sun roofs, seats, etc..
* figure out if you're going to keep the truck for the long haul, or trade it next year - around my neck of the woods in Florida, the dealers won't give you more than $1,500 - 2,000 trade-in for a LR with that many miles no matter how much money you put in it.(might be different in your area, tho) So, you really gotta decide how much you want the truck - and COUNT on putting money into it.

Old 07-30-2008, 07:39 AM
Overlanding

* Check for any "Check Engine" Lights codes. If it's on, run it to an AutoZone or Discount Auto or someplace that will read the codes for you. Then Google those codes to get an idea of what will need to be fixed.

I think you can talk that dealer down in price - go on Craigslist.com and Autotrader to gets some "ammo" for negotiating with the dealer. You can also look on eBay - and just do a search on "Discovery" to see what kind of prices replacement parts are going for.

Quick Reply: New guy here, looking at buying a '97 Disco, hoping you guys could answer some questions.