Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New guy looking for opinions

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2020, 04:19 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy looking for opinions

Hey so I'm sure yall get this a lot here, but I'm looking into buying a land rover discovery 2, it's not the prettiest but I can work on that as time goes by and such. Think this is worth it? I've already been in contact with the seller and the brake pads are bad and maybe the rotors and I can do those in my sleep. I've read these guys are pretty finicky with maintenance but that doesn't deter me. I haven't gone out to look yet been waiting on some cash to come in.

Old 03-29-2020, 05:25 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 390 Likes on 317 Posts

186,000 mi and a laundry list of repair items. Seller lost interest because there is a lot of work to be done. With that said, if it isn’t a total sloppy joe, I wouldn’t pay more than $500. Who can verify the seller even did a correct job on head gaskets, etc. $500 cash and he’ll sell it. He wants it gone. If not, eh.

Old 03-29-2020, 05:31 PM
Overlanding

Thanks I was kinda thinking the same! I'm planning to go over it with a comb, check for rust, take my code reader and stuff. The pics on the inside looked like it was in good shape, no ripped seats and it clean. I'm not scared of doing some work. The one thing I can't really do is rip a engine apart.

Old 03-29-2020, 05:42 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 440 Likes on 300 Posts

Is it worth it? Nope

sounds like you could bring cash and get it for less ($500-800!)....and get a parts car for your next Disco!

expect to do more work that you think. Unless seller has all receipts...head gaskets done? 10 yrs ago?

do more research.

Old 03-29-2020, 05:49 PM
Overlanding

Got anything I should look out for specifically on these vehicles?

Old 03-29-2020, 06:30 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 387 Likes on 293 Posts

Yes, look out for a rusty frame. With enough time and a small investment you can fix anything mechanical on these trucks. If the chassis isn't sound there's no point. Some trucks will be better candidates than others depending on options, mods, cosmetic condition etc, and only a strong familiarity with these trucks will reveal that. In the meantime, what to avoid is a truck that's not worth spending any money on. Here's a good link of what to look for. Check the entire frame. Surface rust is a non-issue, the truck you're considering is 20 years old so it will have that. Structural failure is another story. Scroll down to post #10.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...o-rusty-97743/

Another thing I consider important is how long has it been for sale, and why is is for sale. These are often telling indicators. Also, a $1,000 truck probably won't have extensive service records or a compression test but you can ask. Check the obvious stuff, jugs of fluid in the back, especially coolant aren't a good sign. Tires for these trucks are pretty expensive too so newer excellent condition tires can go a long way towards throwing money at other problems instead. Is it inspected? How'd it do at its last emissions test?

I like the $500 offer approach and don't be afraid to walk away. >$2k trucks will all need work so look at a bunch before jumping on one.

Last edited by ahab; 03-29-2020 at 06:38 PM.
Old 03-29-2020, 06:54 PM
Overlanding

I'll definitely take a look at the underside, thanks for the visual in that thread. From what he told me he said work keeps him from working on it and he has too many projects. But it has been on there for a little bit I think. He said there wasn't anything wrong with it besides the issues he listed and would pass inspection with brakes. No emissions test here in Virginia thankfully. When I have the cash I'll Ask him some more in-depth information and relay it.

Old 03-29-2020, 08:34 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

You are looking at a major project. If you are itching during the lockdown, there are better ways to spend money and time.

Old 03-29-2020, 09:32 PM
Received 394 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by stillruns
186,000 mi and a laundry list of repair items. Seller lost interest because there is a lot of work to be done. With that said, if it isn’t a total sloppy joe, I wouldn’t pay more than $500. Who can verify the seller even did a correct job on head gaskets, etc. $500 cash and he’ll sell it. He wants it gone. If not, eh.
$500 is that what the junk yard scrappers pay for scrap cars. I know where I live if you $500 the seller rather call a scrap tower no hassle sell right there

Old 03-29-2020, 09:34 PM
Received 394 Likes on 306 Posts

Damm guy spent all this money and time but couldn’t touch the brakes lol. How not to sell a car. Move on from this **** box and spend a bit more

Quick Reply: New guy looking for opinions